TurboTax "free" isnt free.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
I clicked on the IRS website and it gave me a list of companies that file for free.<br /><br />Turbotax was one of them.<br /><br />Well, guess I didnt read real close cause it requires 9.95 to print or e-file.<br /><br />So much for free.<br /><br />Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: TurboTax "free" isnt free.

Well, I just relogged in and it said my return was filed for free.<br /><br />It better be, or they will get a phone call.<br /><br />Apparently I didnt resign in from the proper link.<br /><br />We'll see.<br /><br />Ken

Homerr

Commander

Nothing is free!<br /><br />I bought Turbo Tax. I had to initially pay for the e-file, but I get it back (after the rebate that I so much enjoy dealing with :mad: )<br /><br />H.

spratt

Lieutenant

I guess the only reason that I didn't get to file for free is because I have to pay for my Internet connection...filing didn't cost me a dime though...and I get my refund direct-deposit within two weeks...pretty cheap, since I ALREADY had my Internet connection!!!

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Does TurboTax let you file your state taxes or just Federal?

Homerr

Commander

Ae708... If you purchase the program, it will do both, however you have to buy a separate add-on program for your state.<br />I don't buy the state program since the state form is really easy to do anyway.<br /><br />I looked into the free e-file too, but you have to send both returns at the same time. I already had my federal return sent, so I was out of luck. <br /><br />Maybe I didn't look in the right place like Ken did?<br /><br /><br />H.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

If you go to TaxAct.com from the IRS site it IS free. (the catch is you have to get to it from the IRS site. If you go directly to their website, there is a charge. I just submitted mine yesterday. I've used Taxact the last 2 or 3 years.

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've used TurboTax directly over the internet for years. No, it is NOT free, but it is the most accurate, instantaneous, automatic auditing/checking, "point-click-enter" type of tax program out there. It does both state and federal in minutes. Just make sure you have Adobe Acrobat reader and a tray full of paper in your printer, and let it fly... :) <br /><br />Butch A.

eeboater

Commander

Homerr... I was planning on purchasing TurboTax to do my taxes this year. How much was the state add-on? I didn't realize that you had to buy the state as an add-on.<br /><br />Sean

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by ButchA:<br /> I've used TurboTax directly over the internet for years. No, it is NOT free, but it is the most accurate, instantaneous, automatic auditing/checking, "point-click-enter" type of tax program out there. It does both state and federal in minutes. Just make sure you have Adobe Acrobat reader and a tray full of paper in your printer, and let it fly... :) <br /><br />Butch A.
Guess I have to disagree with ou aboutit being the MOST accurate. But, I am in a mood to disagree with most anything today:) Am buying (or trying to) a new house, and have more stress than one human should have!!!<br /><br />But I really doubt your statement about TaxAct being the most accurate, cause I have used others and they were not INACCURATE at all...how accurate is accurate, and only one mistake makes a program INACCURATE...they all use calculations, and a calculator is only accurate as the one putting the numbers in!!