tune up questions

jimdogg1269

Cadet
i have a 3.0L merc. im gonna try to tune the ole girl up this weekend with some new plugs, wires, cap and rotor button,, would a local parts store have the wires, cap, and button?

and what about the air filter, it doesnt look bad but its 10yrs old,, can u clean them or should i just replace it?

jim

ziggy

Admiral
Re: tune up questions

my local napa has marine parts. ya might try them. just be sure and specify that it's marine parts that you need.
as for the air filter. you don't have one. or shouldn't. what you have is a flame arrestor. best i know, ya clean them up. i do mine. breakleen and compressed air works well. or just the breakleen even. mines all metal. and most are best know... so clean it. not replace it. assuming it's a flame arrestor. if it's a air filter, for sure replace it with a uscg approved flame arrestor..

fwiw. here's an example of a napa cap vs a mercruiser cap for my rig..

IMG_4559.jpg

merc cap on left. put that in paint and blow it up. much difference in how they are made. the napa one looking pretty lame compared to the real mercruiser one, which is more expensive to be sure. i got the napa cap cause my merc dealer was out of what i needed. in the end. i couldn't bring myself to putting the napa cap on. just to much difference imho. i took the napa cap back and waited for a real merc. cap.

my napa is next door to my local mercuiser dealer. i shop at his(local merc. dealer) store first, if they don't have what i need i go to the napa next door as a last resort to getting the part today.

there's iboats too... they will have just what you need to i would think.