Tuna Fishing At Night

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Would like to know if anyone has any night time fishing secrets for Yellow Fin Tuna. We fish for Tuna alot during the day and do pretty good but never had any luck at night. Were going this weekend [weather permiting] and would love to catch THE BIG ONE in the dark. We fish the northern Gulf of Mexico. Any hints ,tips, tricks,or advice greatly appreciated.

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tuna Fishing At Night

Well I'm not in your neck of the woods but we setup a chum slick and chunk butterfish. 3 hooked baits set out attached to balloons to get them away from the boat.<br />Seems to work on the NE coast.

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

Reelpoor,did you make it out?I fish out of Venice ,La.fish the full moons for tuna when I get a chance.When I do,I do the rig thing,bring along the cast net for flying fish.Most of the time,i drift around the rigs staying close to the lights.At times the tuna will be just outside of the lights.Chum line works great,using hardtails even better.Best is flying fish.Thats candy for big Yellow Fin.<br />A run from Gulfport is not that far over this way if you have the right size boat.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Prockvoan<br />WE left out Friday night about 10:30pm from Cypress Cove headed to the Lump. Fished the rig near there caught some hard tails and an Amber Jack. On the Lump at night, well, the sharks were there, went to bed. Sharks, our usual night time catch. Water was still cloudy but starting to clear up. Lost a lot of tackle Saturday as the King Mackrel were abundant and hungry. <br />I did get a tip from another source. Use artificial, "glow" flyin fish. Havent located any yet, but Im looking. Was going this weekend, but the weather changed my mind.<br />We fish a 2950 Proline w/twin Yamaha 250 EFI's from, the Nipple to the Canyons, offshore and inshore.<br />Thanks for the info. Do you normally see those flyers, or casting that net with high HOPE? Are you throwing a CAST NET or a BRIL NET? Favorite rig for those flyers? How do you hookem? Live vs dead. Do you know of any source for live bait in that area such as Pogies or mullet? ANY info appreciated. <br />Thanks again!!!!!!!