tube tow anchor point question

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
I am currently putting a new transom in a 15' aluminum Starcraft, and since I hope to tow a tube, I need to install some anchor points on the transom. Since it does not have any now, what is the recommended location? High up, middle, low and in or as wide as I can get them? Also, do i need a special anchor or could any round eye bolt style work? I'm new to tubing so any advice would be greatly appropriated!

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: tube tow anchor point question

Put the anchors as wide apart as is practical. Higher is better. Use a U-bolt, not a round eye so the load is spread more.
When towing get a rope or harness that attaches to both anchor points and the tow rope attaches to that. With a small boat you might want to get a floater that goes in the middle of the tow line to allow for more movement of the tube, as the rope is out of the water more. You don't need this but it can help.
Get a specialty rope for tubing. Ski lines tend to break.
Enjoy it. You don't have to go fast. The driver just has to know how to put the tube onto some converging wake swells.

A/C Guy

Cadet

Don't forget backing plates behind the u bolts. Also, only use stainless u bolts designed for mounting on a transom.
As stated, mount as high as practical and as far apart as possible. Attaching them closer to the hull is stronger than in the middle.
Also, use a tow harness, do not connect the tow line to one u bolt only.
http://www.iboats.com/Tow-Bridles-H...6609464--**********.661789057--view_id.258724

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought a new (to me) boat last May and we found that the low tow points made for pretty miserable tubing- the tow rope dragged in the water, splashing water in the riders' face and making the tube much less responsive. I bought one of the mid-line floats at a winter sale and can't wait to use it! But they're $70-100, so I would suggest mounting your tow u-bolts up as high as you can (18"-24" above the waterline) instead. My boat has a swim step that made moving the hooks all but impossible. Everything mentioned above about installation is important and correct.

Dave