tube falling apart

guajiro0192

Seaman Apprentice
1021110943_01.jpg1021110942a.jpg1021110942_01.jpgHi all,
I have a 10ft west marine rib. The tubes outer skin is separating from the tube. It looks like a hernia as the tube is popping out of the slit. I can slip my hand in between the two layers. It is still holding air (somewhat) but I am afraid that it will pop when filled. Any Ideas on how to repair, or not worry. I need this rib to last me at least to next summer. I'll try and attach a pic of the hernia soon.
Thanks

Last edited:

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: tube falling apart

Too many possibilities based on your description. It almost sounds like you have one of those boats that has a bladder inside, but your issue could be anything from a cut tube to a bad seam. Throw up some pics.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Just for the record, how old is that inflatable, is it pvc or hypalon made ?

Happy Boating

guajiro0192

Seaman Apprentice

The boat is pretty old. '97. It is hypalon. I was wondering if I should saturate the area in glue like in fiberglass work and then put a patch over the area after it dries.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Waterloo time, that's the issue of selling reputed brands with thin hypalon fabrics at affordable prices. For the moment, cut all visible exposed threads to have a clean outside fabric portion, if still able to keep getting inside fabric with finger you're done, if it's only at that exposed area, could glue with 2 part hypalon glue interior separated layers and place a big patch on the exterior. Ask Santa on your next wish list for a new inflatable ...

Happy Boating

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Were you able to patch it as Sea Rider explained?
Hopefully the fabric is not too deteriorated.

guajiro0192

Seaman Apprentice

I have not had time yet. I am thinking of trying some of that seam tape for a temp fix. I am thinking of saving a little for a newer rib that can hold a 25hp engine. I'll let you know how it comes out.

wolfie-uk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi, that is an easy repair, do it all the time over here, do as Sea Rider said, First off, let down the tube, then we make the hole / rip bigger and also make it an "L" shape, then trim all the edges to get rid of the fluffy stuff, fold back the triangle bit and hold it with some gaffer tape, reach inside and rough the surface with sand paper, clean with MEK or Acetone, mix the two part glue and give it a thin coating, also the square patch you have cut which is about 2 inches bigger than the L shape, let them dry for 30 mins, then a second coat, wait 10 minutes then carefully place it inside, REMEMBER that hypalon glue is a contact adhesive so when it touches it sticks, then rub the patch all over with a screwdriver handle to get it dead flat, now glue the triangle bit you held out of the way with tape and again rub all over working from the middle out, time then to cut another patch 2 inches bigger than the rip, prepare the surfaces, and glue again as for the inner patch, 2 coats and rub it on well, LEAVE for 24 hrs to cure, then inflate the tube to just under working pressure of 1.5psi, check for leaks with lots of soapy water and you should be good to go for years to come.

Dont forget to Round off the corners of the patches as they do not catch as easy and lift, especially the outer patch.

mick baker

Recruit

ive used a glue called stormcure if comes from england have stuck the floor back in mine no problems check the glue out on the net

guajiro0192

Seaman Apprentice

I'm going to ckeck the glue out. I am going to try and usae the patch over the cut to hold the tube in. Better yet, I might just get another rib or skiff. I need something tht can take a 1975 25hp 'rude. Great advise from all... Thanks

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

That material has reached the end of it's service life. I wouldn't bet that the boat is going to last much longer. Like Luis implied, it's a low end boat and that material was barely able to be called Hypalon when it was new.