Tsunami Aid

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant
Why everytime something happens over seas we {the US} is expected to dump billions in aid there. When something happeneds here{ie 9/11} what do we get? A good part of the world see as the bad guy's but we always bail them out, I think a lot of the money could have been used here to help our fellow country man, it's the way I feel maybe it's not right but that's how I feel.....

D

DJ

Re: Tsunami Aid

It's really too bad you feel that way Blu Lunch. <br /><br />Not everybody in this country is poor because of circumstance. Some choose to be that way, through their actions.<br /><br />We Americans contribute to charity and help others because we have more ability to do so than most. It's just the right thing to do.

Realgun

Commander

Can't we just nukem all and let God Ala or whomever sort them out? <br /><br />I feel bad for the people though. A little help is what we should give but the damn politicians in Indonesia or wherever that place is should be gratful and not bash us for "not giving enough"<br /><br />Its as if you gave a homeless man a burger from Mcdonalds cause he is staving and he asks why you did not give him a Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, etc!<br />OR money!

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

I feel bad for them too, but I'm getting tried of getting kicked around by the world community. I'm not a *rick I did donate to the fund thru work but for a domestic issues such we had a local police officer shot and held hostage last week and died while being held{Officer Peter Lavery Newington Ct. P.D.} I made a nice size donation to his family. I'm sure there is more people that feel that way.....

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Realgun:<br /> Can't we just nukem all and let God Ala or whomever sort them out? <br /><br />I feel bad for the people though. A little help is what we should give but the damn politicians in Indonesia or wherever that place is should be gratful and not bash us for "not giving enough"<br /><br />
Wherever lies the source of your information, factual it is certainly not :rolleyes:

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The American resources (especially helicopters) that are being deployed in the clean-up and rescue operation are by all reports, making a big impact on the region.<br /><br />As well as their primary function, they are in effect also communicating the message to the Muslim population that the USA is their friend, not their enemy. <br /><br />I was reading an article over the weekend saying how confused the local Muslims are - they had heard for years their own propaganda saying how America wanted to kill off the world's Muslim population - and yet here was America deploying it's military to save their lives.<br /><br />Of course, Al Queda are trying to spread the opposite message - that America caused the Tsunami in the first place - but that doesn't quite gel with the relief effort going on... :rolleyes: <br /><br />As DJ said, the primary reason for helping them is that it's the right thing to do - but looks like there could be some further benefit of countering all the extremist propaganda that these people have been subjected to all their lives.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Those that are fortunate should always help those that are less fortunate, regardless of race, creed, or country.<br /><br />As for them helping us, you much be joking. If you were the richest country in the world, would you accept donations. We dont need it, we can take of ourselves.<br /><br />When there were severe floods in Europe about 3-4 years ago, did you donate to them?<br /><br />Let us be proud that the USA is able to help as much as it can.<br /><br />Also, Saudi Arabia was highly critized for not donating a lot of money. A recently held telethon there raised a lot of money. You didnt hear about it much in the US news media, cause they suck.<br /><br />Here is a link<br /> http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050106/ap_on_re_mi_ea/tsunami_saudi_3 <br /><br />Ken

Triton II

Commander

In Australia we raised $20million in a two hour telethon on Saturday night, the government has pledged $1 billion and our population is 20 million. Even my kids gave a month's pocket money and we're donating $250 and foregoing boating for a month even though it's the middle of summer here. Overall the Australian people have raised more than $120 million and we're sending all spare military resources. This catastrophe is truly huge... more than 120,000 dead in Aceh province (Indonesia) alone. Personally we don't care what race/religion the victims are... so my family and I helped (a little). We as a family and Australia as a nation has felt the need to help. The US has also been generous in its help and as Australians we admire that... just as we have helped the US in military terms wheneveer we've been asked. Please let the world unite and those who have been helped will respect and admire those who helped. This catastrophe could help build a lot of bridges and make the world a safer, more pleasant place. Here's hoping.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

again Ken, you said it, most of what is true isn't told to us. Its only what the media wants us to hear, and that is "Bush sucks".<br /><br />I don't think everyone in the world hates us, don't really care. Fact is we are the ones who can help and we do. My church has pumped millions into the effort, do I care if the news media picks that up, at this point again I don't really care. <br /><br />Hey havn't you herd, The US caused the damn tidal wave, just ask an envior geek, they'll tell ya, its from drilling oil.<br /><br />Ya we drilled oil about a mile into the earths crust (crust being about 14 or so miles thick) and caused the dang earthquake. <br /><br />All these wacko's getting worked up, actually makes me laugh, hell just watch CNN or some other biased news, they sure will tell us the truth.<br /><br />I am proud to be an American, I'm happy that we are the only ones that have the helicopters and such.<br /><br />It is a fact that the Dems want their power back so much, they'll stop at nothing to make Bush look bad.<br /><br />Spud

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I started to type something specific to South Asia, but Triton II summed everything up pretty well.<br /><br />There is a true story from the the Rappahannock River here in Virginia. A white waterman went overboard while oystering in the winter. He was from a segregationist state and background, but he said that black hand that reached down to pluck him out of the frigid water was the sweetest thing he ever saw. He later ran for public office and worked to kill off the "Jim Crow" laws in the Old Dominion.<br /><br />When people are in need, you help. It's just that simple.<br /><br />Jinx

swimmin' for shore

Chief Petty Officer

I'm sorry I'm so late with this reply. It's worth bringing up, under the circumstances, and this situation is very close to my heart just now. <br />Triton, I've worked side by side with some of your Aussie soldiers here, and they're fantastic to have around. A few have been on the ship to stay the night, get a hot meal, or just wash some laundry. Those guys work their tail off, and they're always ready to throw in and volunteer to help when they're needed. I've never heard any of them ask what would be in it for them, and they don't complain. They just work, and for all of us who have needed help loading boxes from trucks to helicopters, they are greatly appreciated. <br />I'm disappointed, sometimes, to see governments get in the way of progress between the countries of this world. For some people here, there is complaining going on about the pushiness and inconsideration of the UN workers, various aid groups, low-level vip's, and so on, as they come aboard, take up valuable space on helicopters, get in the way without offering up any help, etc...And in some cases, they're right. Sometimes, those people get in the way. Sometimes, the Indonesian government makes jerks of themselves by refusing to let us fly essential training flights from these waters, in order that we might continue to fulfill our mission of protecting our own country when we leave. Sometimes, the rebels here insist on becoming an annoyance and forcing the differences of Muslims and Americans in front of the overwhelming show of support by Americans in the face of this crisis. All of that is only one side of the story, though. Here's another:<br />Two days ago, I had the pleasure of being flown by helicopter from the ship to the airport at Banda Aceh. It seems rather basic now, our mission here. In short, volunteers like myself go ashore for the purpose of loading and unloading boxes of food from trucks to helicopters. From there, the helos fly out to the outlying villages that were devastated by the tsunami. <br />For about 8 hours, we moved food. Nothing more or less. There were about a hundred of us ashore, and we were supplemented by a handful of Aussie soldiers, and a couple from Britain. We moved approximately 140,000 lbs. of food on the day when I was ashore. Overall, choppers have delivered about 3.5 million lbs. of food to outlying villages. The weather here, being right on the equator, is around 90 or 95 degrees, with well over 100% humidity. Nevertheless, there was not a complaint to be heard. No one quit working and sat down. Not once. Every single person who has had an opportunity to fly over the devastation of this land knows that there are thousands of men and women here who no longer have homes. There are thousands more who no longer have children, or parents, or friends. <br />The support by so many countries has been overwhelming. Please know that, no matter what you read in the news or hear on the television about what governments, religious factions, or rebel groups are saying and doing, there are people here who will starve tomorrow if we don't put helicopters in the air. They may not agree with us politically, but isn't that the right of every person in every nation-to choose what they will believe in, or whom they will worship? It's the right we are so proud of as Americans. It's time to put aside our petty differences and remember that these are people, no matter whom they pray to at night. And if the United Nations, Indonesian rebels, or anyone else gets in the way of progress here, let me thank God for putting me in this place at this time to balance the effect. <br />I'd love to post pictures for everyone. My internet connection, under the circumstances, is just too slow to download pictures to a server, and so on. If anyone wants them, my email address is in my profile. I'd be happy to send them on.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

well, I'm on the other side of the fence.<br /><br />If they feel they can help their own peole better.. let 'em. One ounce of negativity would be all it would take for this camper.<br /><br />we have plenty here in the US to concern ourselves with. I know of a few things that our tax dollars could be used for other than adding in the cost of operation of our rescources.<br /><br />If we as a nation have this $$ to give away then why the national debt?? why should we dig ourselves further into a hole?? why should we .. blah, blah, blah...<br /><br />almost positive that there are people here that are not getting attention/aid that they need and are getting over looked for some sick reason and seeing this 'humanitarian' effort or 'excuse' is getting real old. <br />Seems 'local' officials need to formaly express a 'disaster' and it then has to be passed and approved by higher folks on the food chain for anything to be done about it.. why? <br /><br />- " No, sorry.. we need to keep these funds for aid outside of our own borders.. " <br /> :confused: :mad: :rolleyes:

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Remember "Somalia"???? they also got some of that aid!!!! And I'm sure that Mr. Adid took most of the relief aid, just like he did a few years back and it was the H$ll with the people!! Who kept track of the aid ??? And who made sure it went to the right people??? ;) :cool:

swimmin' for shore

Chief Petty Officer

Fly Rod, to be honest, I think that's why the UN gets so involved. I came across an article yesterday that was written anonymously by someone on my ship, and he was complaining about the UN and all of the low-level VIP's involved here. A lot of them get in the way, and act like they're here for their own good and not for the good of Indonesia. He was right, in part, but what you brought up makes them a necessary evil. It's not really my place to say how effective they are, but they're still necessary to ensure that funds are distributed correctly. The UN, as well as all of the aid groups that get involved. The majority of people who donate, do it through aid groups and such. I think it's fortunate, as well, that there is nothing about the military to be misused. Sometimes, it could be put to better use, but a great majority of America's contributions as a country comes through the military, and not hard cash.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You really need to get things in perspective if a tusami hit America and 120 thousand Americans were killed one Million displaced it is very unlikely you could cope without international help, It would come I for one would give money along with thousands of others. <br /><br />As for 9/11 in the UK all the firestations raised money for the families of the firefighters. We then sent our soldiers to Afganistan and Iraq all paid for from UK tax. So to say that you dont get help from other countries is wrong.<br /><br /><br />Lets all get together and if we can help, help the people who need it. Isnt that the Christian way.