Trying to restore Lark V 1063

My non mechanic son has picked-up an old aluminium approx 14' Sprots Craft boat with Evenrude #E02472, model 40373D Lark V motor. The boat, trailer, and motor have been in an old storage building for many years. I am a decent shade tree mechanic (small engines, diesel, autos, motorcycles), but only very limited outboard experience. We realize the rule; "First, do no harm!" applies here.

We fogged the cylinders through the spark plug ports. The engine turned easily by hand starter. We noted a no spark condition and pretty much expected that. We removed and cleaned the carb; but it was remarkably clean already, except the float valve was stuck in the closed postion. We replaced the fuel lines. We removed the fly wheel to find the coils had pretty much turned to dust, but the points looked brand new -- no pitting or wear. The woodruff fly wheel key was sharply creased and cracked! We purchased a new woodruff that was slightly too tall and worked it down to size on a flat file We replaced the coils and condensors. We made a crude check for compression (thumb in plug holes -- seems strong -- yeah, yeah, I know and we will).

We had no idea of how the electrics were originally set-up. The boat dash has this multiple pole rotary switch with heavy gague connecters, but the wiring was gone to copper thieves. We fashioned a throttle linkage for the cable to hook the throttle. We have no concept as to how the shifter worked, but putting power to one of the shifter wires on the engine seems to put it in gear and after removing power it seems to be in neutral. Same for other wire. The old gear lube was pretty funky, but minimal water in it. We used EP 80W-90 Mobil to refill for the time being We added an ignition solenoid and key switch and battery. With 16:1 oil rich mix we cranked her up and she idled right along in a water filled garbage can. Kinda rough, but impressive. We had to stay conservative in the throttle as the water can is just too small and exhaust and water spray was going every where.

It sure would be good to have a service manual. I found this forum and read what I could find. We need to replace impeller, check the shear pin. What else needs routine replacement?

Is there a HOW TO regarding building a shifter box with buttons for the selectric shift?

The prop is dinged moderately on one blade, looks like a trailering accident, can I still get a prop and shear pins? Or, is the metal malleable enough to work back into shape?

Appreciate any helpful advice you can offer.

prs

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Trying to restore Lark V 1063

First off, remove the makshift flywheel key and replace it with proper key from your dealer. Electric shift lower units use a preium blend lower unit oil, not 80/90. You are correct on the shift, green wire forward, blue wire reverse, voltage to neither is neutral. By the mod number it is a 1963 40 hp. I think the oil ratio is 50:1. Is the control box still there, if not the shift switch could cost more than the engine is worth. You need to get a OEM manual,google ken cook or check Ebay. When running in a barrel, make sure water is at least 1/2 up the exhaust housing, don't want to over heat.

Thanks for the reply. The throttle control box is there and there are two levers on that box, I am not sure what the second (smaller one) is for. If needed, is there a problem with us building a control box to operate the shifter so long as precautions are made so that use of one switch blocks the use of the other? Until we see its a viable project, we are not gonna sink a lot of his money into it, but as a project to learn some mechanical skill and such may be the real value.

prs

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the reply. The throttle control box is there and there are two levers on that box, I am not sure what the second (smaller one) is for. If needed, is there a problem with us building a control box to operate the shifter so long as precautions are made so that use of one switch blocks the use of the other? Until we see its a viable project, we are not gonna sink a lot of his money into it, but as a project to learn some mechanical skill and such may be the real value.

prs

It sounds like you have the wrong control. The control for that motor has one lever for the throttle and push buttons for the shift. There is no second lever. Unless you have a Johnson control, that one has one lever for the throttle and shift switch combined, and a very small red warm-up/fast idle lever on the rear.

FR;

Its an Evanrude outboard, but it could be a Johnsom controller or other. Hard to predict what folks have done in the past. My son says the PO told him that the large controll box operated both the throttle and shifter -- but hon 'n tarnation could that be? The throttle is mechanical and the shift electronic. Would it be a sin to just build a simple switch box? Is the shift function a high current draw that needs relays or ....

I did take the initial advice to get the books; on order. I will get an OE flywheel key.

prs

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

I cant offer a whole lot here,but,those engines are natorious for stripping the flywheel key due to the torque they put out.For that reason,it is important to get the flywheel nut tight.I suggest looking for the torque spec for insurance.You might want to look on the ebay site for a control box.I have seen New Old Stock items for sale .Maybe not immediatly,but you will probably get lucky.Also,there are shops that have golden oldie items.We are not supposed to advertise on the forums,if you dont find the items you need,send me a private message.I happen to know a place here in Key Largo Fl.that has some golden oldie stuff.Also,don't forget to get that gear lube changed as posted.You should do a pressure test of the loweunit.Usually 5-7 lbs ,and some soap spray will help locate leaks.Ebay may also be a place to find a book.You touched on the fuel lines.Now more than ever it is important tto put newer diaphrams and hoses in the system.I believe you can find ethonol friendly carb and fuel pump kits.Im ALMOST positive the oil ratio for that eng is 25 to 1.Now,its possible the new oils allow for you to use 50 to 1.That I dont know.But I had 4 of those dinosauers up tp 64 and it was a qt.to the 6 gallon tank.Have fun

It sounds like you have the wrong control. The control for that motor has one lever for the throttle and push buttons for the shift. There is no second lever. Unless you have a Johnson control, that one has one lever for the throttle and shift switch combined, and a very small red warm-up/fast idle lever on the rear.

I believe you hit the nail on the head. The box is Evenrude "Simplex" with the two handles and the tranny is "selectic". I bet the PO had a switch wired in to shift gears and usd the Simplex box to run the throttle only.

I can use a 12V, 22amp SPDT "on - off - on" togle switch to shift and maybe even a pair of relays if the current drain is too high. That would at least let us see if the project has potential enough to warrant seeking the expensive correct parts.

prs

Willyclay

Captain

OMC flywheel nut torque specifications: 60-65 ft/lbs. for 40HP with small crankshaft and 100-105ft/lbs. for 40HP with large crankshaft. Good luck!