Trying to get an old '67 Evinrude 33 running

DallasJeff

Seaman
This one was an electric Ski Twin. I bought it without controls, just 5 wires hanging out (starter motor, ground, choke, cutout, and i have no idea what the 5th wire is for) and have another '66 Ski Twin for parts.

I cleaned the carb and put a tiller handle on it and got it started today and it has good compression, runs great, shifts good. (white motor, black lower unit, blue tiller handle, very classy)

Problems:

1. The starter solenoid looks pretty old and has no part number. It just has two large terminals that I assume are positive (big current) in and out. Two small terminals labeled "S" and "I". Which one of those is + and which one is - ? I put the positive on the "S" and grounded the "I" but nothing... no solenoid "click" and no current to the starter. Bad solenoid or wrong wiring? i jumped the starter motor off my Jeep battery and it works.

2. What size socket do I need to get the flywheel nut off? I have a parts motor with a rope start and I want to add it on. I measured the nut with a tape measure and its about 1" or maybe 1 1/16" ??? Only wrench I have that big is a crescent but unfortunately the rope-start claws are in the way and I can't get the crescent wrench on the nut. I'll buy the right socket tomorrow if I just know what size to get.

3. How do you kill the motor? When I turn the tiller handle to the slowest speed it doesn't die. The motor is equipped with a cutout switch but I think that's only for vacuum-actuated protection from over-revving. I had to kill it by pushing the throttle control rod with my finger to close the butterfly. Maybe I need to adjust the throttle linkage and armature so that I'm able to idle down until it dies. But if so, how?

I have a Clymer repair manual plus the parts diagrams and I've studied this thing pretty good. Fire away with advice and I'll get 'er done. Thanks!