Troublshooting: Outboard won't run without starting fluid

jtb

Cadet
Hello all,

First of all, I know to NEVER use starter fluid in an outboard motor.
I have a 1964 Johnson Super Seahorse 40hp I'm trying to put back on the water. If I spray some starting fluid (WD-40 etc) into the cylinders and continue to spray directly into the Carb, it will run. But merely seconds after I stop spraying directly into the carb, the engine dies, meaning it's burning the fluid, and not he fuel.

The back of the carb is wet so I know some fuel is getting through. The fuel pump works. I can pull the carb drain screw and plenty of fuel comes pouring out (and I just replaced fuel lines).

Any thoughts? I suspect the carb needs to be disassembled, but I'm new to this. Also, the carb looks pretty buried. It looks like I'll have to take the Starter off just to get to the mounting screws.

Any pro's got some knowledge to share to a young lad?

Thanks,

JTB

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Troublshooting: Outboard won't run without starting fluid

As you know, dont do that! :)

Do your motor a favour and put some pre mixed fuel into one of your wife's old spray bottles. Then at least you can troubleshoot, and you motors cylinders can get the lubrication they need.

A carb clean/overhaul is likely in order if the fuel is getting to the carb as it should. Dont be intimidated, start by reading the thread in the Top Secret Files regarding carb rebuild. Let us know if you have any other questions.

You tube may also help, so you can actually watch a video of a carb being cleaned so that you know what you are looking at for your first time.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Hello all,

First of all, I know to NEVER use starter fluid in an outboard motor.
I have a 1964 Johnson Super Seahorse 40hp I'm trying to put back on the water. If I spray some starting fluid (WD-40 etc) into the cylinders and continue to spray directly into the Carb, it will run.

Any pro's got some knowledge to share to a young lad?

Thanks,

JTB

HighTrim pretty much nailed it.

As far as sharing some knowledge...how about : "if you know you shouldn't do something...don't do it." :facepalm:;)

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Pulling the starter to get to the carb is not that bad, don't be intimidated. Make sure the battery is disconnected. Be careful with the mounting studs. Sometimes the nut comes off, sometimes the stud comes out of the block. No big deal.

Check out the stickies on a carb rebuild. Get a can (gallon) of carb cleaner so you dunk it. Kinda expensive, but worth every penny, 'cause it gets to places you can't. Hope you have an air compressor, also a vital tool :) Be sure to pull the welsh plugs, they'll come in the rebuild kit (about $20). Pay close attention to the needles, low and/or high-speed.

Check out marineengine.com. Punch in your year/hp and find the parts diagram for your engine. It will give you names and part #'s. Terrific resource....

Watch Flea-Bay for a spare carb. Might save you a little downtime :D

<<)))(((>>

jtb

Cadet

Thanks for the advice guys!

So when a carb is disassembled, is it usually necessary to buy a rebuild kit? (i.e. gasket seal won't hold after rebuild, etc.). I assume it depends widely upon age/condition.

Any light to shed on how to free up some seized motor clamp bolts? (they don't go through the transom). They've been so tight the previous owner snapped one trying to turn them to budge.

This green-horn really appreciates it!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

PB Blaster is a penetrating oil that works pretty good. Much better than WD-40, IMHO. If you can heat up the transom clamps and then remove the heat and spray it with the PB, as the bolts cool, they tend to such some of the stuff in. A couple of applications of heat and oil, and you should be able to get 'em loose.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the advice guys!

So when a carb is disassembled, is it usually necessary to buy a rebuild kit? (i.e. gasket seal won't hold after rebuild, etc.). I assume it depends widely upon age/condition.

Any light to shed on how to free up some seized motor clamp bolts? (they don't go through the transom). They've been so tight the previous owner snapped one trying to turn them to budge.

This green-horn really appreciates it!

Only speaking for myself, but the kits aren't that expensive compared to the effort to R&R the carbs.
You CAN often get away with reusing gaskets and seals...but when you DON'T get away with it and you are faced with a leak, the cost of the new gaskets suddenly seems pretty cheap insurance.

The real pros may be able to judge safely whether a gasket/seal is still OK, but I just use a kit as to be sure.

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer

i very often reuse seals, and gaskets.... where possible making gaskets...
though if i know ahead of time i am going to need the parts, or that i will be doing the work, i almost always buy the correct gaskets 1st.
When I need to get my fishing fix and the *(&%ing boat won't go, i have been know to even use (gasp) formagasket. That said, I always have both curved scissors and straight ones and a multisized hole punch in the tool kit.... and...permatex rtv (only for worst possible issue just to get home) and gasket material. Funny thing is my engines don't generally fail me..... but lord knows how often I have wound up fixing some poor saps outboard at the launching area or across the lake (my jonboat is not a tow truck)....cause i felt bad for his kids and wife.

bottom line if you can wait for em, fresh seals or gaskets are the way to go.

Sean

jtb

Cadet

THanks all!

Cleaned the carbs out thoroughly. It was pretty hideous in there! Started right up. Doesn't run well but it runs!!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Might just be some fine tuning now. Look into the FAQs for a thread by Joe Reeves to tune the needles.