trouble with tilt and trim

scdeerslayer

Cadet
Hey, I just bought a V20 wellcraft with a 1983 200 johnson and the tnt is giving me trouble I knew it wasn't working when I bought it. Ok so when I hit the switch up or down both of the relays will click one when up and one when down. If I jump over the relays the trim motor will run on the blue wire (up) but when straight wired to the green wire nothing. Any ideas out there. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: trouble with tilt and trim

From your description, not sure if you jumped around the relay box, direct to the motor or not. Both relays are the same part number. Try swapping them and see if it goes down and not up. If it does, replace both relays and keep the old (good) one as a spare for emergencies.

scdeerslayer

Cadet

Yeah I jumped over the relay box and it works going up but not down. I wanted to just see if the relays were bad but the trim motor not working going down when jumping the realys has me stumped. Switching the relays does nothing still just clicks.

scdeerslayer

Cadet

Thanks for trying to help I got it fixed this morn. kind of funny story I was jumping the relays trying to get motor to trim down which it surprisingly did work but at the time I thought it had burnt the main wires up (they were smoking like crazy) figured I had messed it all up. When I hit the switch motor trimmed down and up like new. Guess I got lucky the only ting I can figure is I had water in the wires and frying them dries it out.