trouble shooting a bad starting 120 evinrude

jjboor

Seaman
I recently bought a '88 EvinRude V4 VRO 120.(BE120TLCCA, G1738847) And took it out boating quite a few times now. Lately the engine was getting harder to start and the OMC remote started giving a non stop warning signal after a few tries which stopped after a few seconds and gave an audible click from near the fuel/VRO pump. But a least the engine would get started and I didn't have to row...<br /><br />Then one day I took the boat out and the engine had some trouble getting onto Rpms until the engine warmed up then ran nicely but just not very smooth, As i had tanked some less then high quality fuel and kept it in the bough for a few hot and bumpy weeks, I dumped the fuel and took on some new fuel and sure as the engine fired nicely and ran smooth again.<br /><br />Since then I went boating some 4 to 5 times and then while waiting idling for my friend to pick up the wakeboard line the engine died. I tried to restart her but she fired once and then died again. I gave it e few tries and decided I had probably flooded her, and let her rest for a bit. She didn't start again that day but the next day I took out the sparkplugs (Champ. QL16V) and cleaned them she started right up but ran very roughly on the muffs. Died again and now has a very hard time starting and runs very badly( stuttering then jumping in RPMS for no apparent reason). While idiling i really have to run some higher RPMS to keep her going and I think she is smoking more then before (I run Quicksilver tc-w3) When she dies then she will not or at least hardly start.<br /><br />Now my question is what's is up? does this give anyone an idea what's up? I'm taking her to the mechanic tomorrow first thing, but hope to get there with an idea of what to look for? The mech. thought about cleaning the carbs or maybe a torn membrane in the fuel pump and therefore flooding her...(I would check that myself but still waiting for the right manual, and I don't want to mess up)<br /><br />I'd like to go boating this weekend but I'd also liked to learn something about my engine so al answers and data are greatly appreciated. Sorry for this being rather long but I tried to be exact.<br />Greetings from The Netherlands.<br /><br /><br />Jan-Jaap Boor

marinemech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: trouble shooting a bad starting 120 evinrude

sounds as though the engine is miss firing use a timing light to watch spark if it disappears on one or more plugs could mean power pack time also that moter was not made by mercury! suggest you use evinrude\johnson xd30 oil min.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: trouble shooting a bad starting 120 evinrude

Jan - If the sound you refer to as the warning signal is the overheating horn - steady sound - you need a water pump (& thermostat while you are at it). I would also do a compression check & post back with the results. The rough running could very well be crud in the carbs. Tha plug does not seem to be the right one but I'll leave it to someone else to comment on.