Trouble Shifting and need some help

bam870

Cadet
I have a 1984 evinrude 25hp tiller that is having shifting problems. It was working fine. Now it gets stuck in gear. Sometimes it will go between neutral and either forward or reverse. I found that if I move the prop by hand then sometimes I can get it to line up and work properly. It did this before but then I started working and I have had no issues the last few months, then last night it started again. Anybody have any ideas?

BonairII

Commander
Re: Trouble Shifting and need some help

Check your shift linkage in lower unit

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Are you trying to shift it with the engine running or just setting there?

bam870

Cadet

I opened the access door on the side and the two rods are connected. I haven't pulled apart the gearbox yet, because I don't have a new gasket and I've never done it before. I'm thinking that's were the problem might be.

bam870

Cadet

Well the problem started in the water after it was running when I was taking it off the trailer. It stuck in reverse. The only way I could change gears was kill the motor, disconnect the plugs and turn the prop by hand until I could get it in nuetral then forward. But then reverse was locked out.

BonairII

Commander

Unfortunately both the dogs and gears could be bad

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Have you checked the lower unit oil, any metal particles in it?

bam870

Cadet

Yeah I changed two outings ago and have checked it since. It did have some moisture but no obvious metal shavings or particules. How hard and expensive is it to change the dogs and gears?