Trouble refitting lower unit to1988 140 hp information help PLEASE

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After removing the Lower unit and replacing the water pump, I'm having trouble reinstalling the lower unit .

The workshop manuals don't really go into any detail on refitting.

Q 1. Which gear should the lower unit be in when refitting, Neutral or Forward?

Q2. The shift rod has a off set section at top, should it face forward or aft on intallation?
I presume the gear shift is and up and down movement on the shift rod, instead of a turn like Mercs.

Q3. To adjust the shift rod length the manual mentions to attain the correct length screw it in fully and then unscew approx 6 rotations and check length to specs. It that done with the shift rod in the fully pushed down position? or other

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trouble refitting lower unit to1988 140 hp information help PLEASE

Original reply deleted... ID of engine appears to be wrong.

my lower is the same and its always a pain to get back on because you are trying to line up the spine while the engine is tilted. Get a friend to help as its easier if you have a 3rd hand to turn the prop while you support the gear case

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where did you come up with that "unscrew 6 rotations bit" procedure? It's wrong.
I was using a Genuine OMC workshop manual that covered the 1980 models, as I couldn't locate one for the later 80's years.
It shows the tool to measure the height of rod, it says to unscrew the rod approx 6 turns and the adjust it further turns until correct length is achieved.
It seems refitting the lower unit is a 2 person job.
Thanks for your quick reply appreciate it.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

In 1980, the 140 was a completely different design motor than a 1988 model. Your 1980 service manual is no good for an '88 140.

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I'm no closer to getting the lower unit refitted,I have searched and searched and all posts on the net ask how to remove a lower unit, I must be the only one to ask how to refit it.
With the motor now tilted down fully I put some longer bolts on the 2 FWD lower unit attaching bolt holes and one at the Aft under the trim plate, I did this to align the lower unit with the mid section and to stop lower unit dropping, also to prevent me loosing the gain I have made. I literally have spent hours on it today
I have got the lower unit up as far as I can, but the shift rod is jamming on the top hole it is suppose to come out of, it seems to be jammed on the AFT side, I have tried lowering the unit down a little and tries to get a screw driver to ease it forward to clear the jamming but no luck. I cant understand why the shift rod can't be easily pulled forward to clear the hole. I check the orientation of the top of the shift rod to ensure it is still facing forward.
The shift rod is all that seems to be stopping me fully fitting the lower unit. I did adjust the shift rod to specs by using a method I found on the net, I used a timber dowell and measured the specified height, drilled a hole exactly centre and used a drill bit in the dowell hole to slot into the top of the shift rod when correct adjustment was achieved
I even looked on Youtube to see if there were any tutorial videos on refitting and came up Zilch.
I thought with the popularity of of Evinrude and Johnson there would be more info.

Firstly make sure the water pipe is engaged to the pump you should be able to see where the pipe goes in the pump. Then try to feed a string down the gear rod hole. once down tie it to the shift rod so you can guide it back to the hole in the cowling (you will have to pull lower off to get the string tied on)