Trouble keeping engine running.

kingbingy

Cadet
I have spark coming from all plugs. All cylinders have 140lbs of psi. I pump the primer and have good pressure. I then start the engines and it runs great for 25 seconds and then turns off. IT is not a over heating problem, because water pump and thermo was already replaced. I am having some sort of carb problem, because it seems as if the carbs are spewing to much gas out of one of them. I have taken the carbs apart and noticed that the needle seems to be in good tack. I didn't notice any gum build up, so I don’t have to worry about that. I then assembled back together and it still spewing out and stalling out. <br /><br />I have a 1988 125hp force motor. I am unsure of serial number since I can't find the number.<br /><br />So if anyone has any ideas it would be great. I have been told that it could be a float problem, letting to much flow coming into the carbs choking them. Which sounds like it coulb be possible, as well as what are the chances that the float is no longer a float and is not floating. Someone told me to put the float in a cup of water and check if it float, should this be done?<br /><br />Any help would be great.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trouble keeping engine running.

I noticed that you didn't say anything about changing the fuel pump diaphragm. That's a quick and cheap fix. Did you replace your needle and seat valve in the carb? Last year , I rebuilt my carb with a brand new kit from boatingsolutions.com. It was totally defective. I then put a NAPA kit in and it worked fine. Hope this helps.

kingbingy

Cadet

The diaphragm was not changed as it looked pretty good. Was some what strenched, but no holes in it. As for the needle and seat, they were not changed as well since they were no worn parts on the needle. According to the book, the needle was right on. I suspect the float as being the problem. I have to take it apart so I can verify if the floats are working properly.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

A stretched fuel pump diaphram will give you problems. For ten bucks it is worth replacing. Same with the neelde valve and seat. The new carb kits come with rubber tipped needle valves and seal better then the old metal ones.