Trophy 2302 boat prop

walleyemanII

Cadet
What prop do you have on your Tropy 2302 boat with a 175hp Mercury?
I have a rapture 14x21 38ph at 4800rpm.
Looking at changing props and looking for sugestions. Any feedback on the MIwheel apollo props?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trophy 2302 boat prop

You may find someone with the exact same setup but highly unlikely.
If you read"read this first" at the top of the page and get us as much info as p[ossible
we may be able to help.
What is it you would like to accomplish?

walleyemanII

Cadet

I am trying to buy a new prop for my boat. The litature shows a large varity of props for the motor but that does not mean that it will work correctly for my setup. The motor height is as high as it can go. I am trying to find someone else with the same setup

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The reason there are so many choices is first of all price some folks buy for price some for performance,some prefer ss props for their somewhat better parformance and toughness.Some folks want just plain speed in a srtraight line others want to run at greatly reduced throttle to the exclusion of all else. There are props that provide stern lift/quick hole shot,some provide bow lift, some resist venting better than others, there are 2,3,4 and 5 blade props then you can consider any number of manufacturers.
A person that wants to go fast would use a comepletely different prop than a person that does a lot of water sports.
A person that runs with a boat load of people basic cruising would need a different prop than a husband and wife that do the exact same thing.
A person could run with any old prop and get by but performance and econmy would likely be poor
and over time could ruin the motor.
I think you can see the likely hood of finding the exact same boat used the exact same way is unlikely.
If you give us the info required in "read this first" we can help you select a prop.
Guessing at the gear ratio it appears your setup isn't working.

walleyemanII

Cadet

1994 Tropy model 2302 walk about cutty boat
23.5 ft long weight 4800lbs fuel 140 gallions
175hp 2 stroke outboard 1.87 geat ratio
Present prop raptor 14x21 stainless
Speed 38mph on gps at 4800 prm WOT 5500-5800

That is abou all the information I know about the boat

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

very good Obviously repm is low. 21" seems like way too much prop.
Slip is high about 25% the heavy boat and low rpm account for part of that.
I would imagine hole shot is a bit slow might be difficult to keep on plane at reduced throttle.
You need to be closer to 5800 a 16" stainless prop should add about 1000 rpm. If the motor is healthy and slip ends up at 15%
at 5800 speed would be about 39.Should improve hole shot and stay on plane better at reduced throttle.
All prop changes are best guesses so at the cost it would be good to try to find a dealer that will let you try props till you find the one that works best.Usually requires a deposit and the understanding your buying a prop.