Trophy 205 fuel tank vent issues

JOEMANSLOWE

Seaman Apprentice
Anyone else experiencing issues with venting. Fuel lines completely collapsed (vacuum) and obviously left me stranded. Towed back and $225 visit from Ed's Marina and figured it out (unscrew the gas cap). Fuel gauge has never worked properly. always bouncing around way too much to feel comfortable unless you have a full tank.
Trophy Joe

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Anyone else experiencing issues with venting. Fuel lines completely collapsed (vacuum) and obviously left me stranded. Towed back and $225 visit from Ed's Marina and figured it out (unscrew the gas cap). Fuel gauge has never worked properly. always bouncing around way too much to feel comfortable unless you have a full tank.
Trophy Joe

The fuel sensors with the float arms are the worst. Change it out for a reed switch type sensor. Connects right back to your existing fuel level gauge.

Hard to say about vent. Usually not a big issue.

What type of vent system do you have? Self venting (under cap) or a system with a dedicated vent and hose assembly?

Check for inserts in the vent opening

JOEMANSLOWE

Seaman Apprentice
Assuming you made the switch to a reed switch and it worked? I'm still waiting on Alumacraft to send the "repair kit". someone suggested i drill a hole in the cap but that don't sound right. The boat's only a year and a half old so they will take care of the venting issue under warranty. As far as the gauge goes Alumacraft says that's how the gauges work. i said really, on a $50-k boat????

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Assuming you made the switch to a reed switch and it worked? I'm still waiting on Alumacraft to send the "repair kit". someone suggested i drill a hole in the cap but that don't sound right. The boat's only a year and a half old so they will take care of the venting issue under warranty. As far as the gauge goes Alumacraft says that's how the gauges work. i said really, on a $50-k boat????
The reed switches on my two fuel tanks are OEM.

The gauge isn't the problem, it's the mickey mouse sensor connected to it.