Trolling

jimhen

Seaman Apprentice
I have moved from Gerogia to NY and I'm still trying to get used to the technique here. I have always liked the idea of trolling, but never really mastered it. I always have a problem with line twist ... even after using some expensive swivels and a rudder setup.
Now I have the urge to get into downriggers... but really don't have a clus at all. Can anyone give me the basics?

bogggar1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Trolling

I'll asume u'll be fishing the finger lakes... downrigging can be a great way to put fish in the boat!!! If ur gonna crawl for lakers [1.8-2.6mph] run ur bottom leader just off bottom with a 31 Sutton spoon behind a dodger... Next run the other release in the thermo-cline... farther behind the boat than ur bottom leader.
There are MEN out there that make a living off of thier hard earned secrets so to be fair to them follow the basics and be persistant, know when to change it up, don't fall in a rut... Always run one w what work for u and on the other cable run the something new and different!!! Try ur ideas and learn but don't stop trying!!! Troll 1.8mph and drive the S pattern [u'll figure out why but it's the hot ticket but U MUST pay attention to what is happening], Buy Sutton spoons in31, 44, 88 and get hammered, silver, brass and silver, and straight brass color. Now get some dark spoons and don't forget if U go to Naples to the Sutton store pick up a couple Hemlock spinners... AMAZING RESULTS!!!

rndn

Commander

Why trolling? Salmon and trout in a few finger lakes and Lake Ontario? The finger lakes have fantastic bass, pike, walleye, muskie, and panfishing. Some of the finger lakes also have decent trout fishing but not comparable to Lake Ontario. Lake Ontario can offer 25 pound Lake trout, 15 - 20 pound rainbow, and 40 pound plus king salmon fishing.
What fish are you going after and specifically what body of water? This time of year and until fall to get decent Lake Ontario Salmon would require fishing well out into the lake, such as 8 to 10 miles out.

rndn

Commander

I forgot to mention that the line twist is most likely cause by trolling way too fast.

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I forgot to mention that the line twist is most likely cause by trolling way too fast.

Use your downrigger wire as a low tech speedometer at that speed. If the wire is singing, you're too fast. Pay attention to the wire as it cuts through the water. Go fast enough for the wire to "cavitate", air bubbles trailing the path of the wire then reduce the speed until the cavitation disappears. The right speed will be when you can see the air bubbles for a second or two as the downrigger dips toward the water due to wave action.

bogggar1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree Lake Ontario is great fishing but u need a boat that can handle what SHE can throw at u!!! Going 10 miles out on a decent day only to be smashed around 10 min. later... 14' rollers the last time I was out there and when we started 4' whites was all!!! Great lake but use common sense when attempting a trip out there!!! Have a marine radio, flares, good life jackets, most of all a boat that can handle her!!! Even Seneca can change in the blink of an eye!!!

Expidia

Commander

Why trolling? Salmon and trout in a few finger lakes and Lake Ontario? The finger lakes have fantastic bass, pike, walleye, muskie, and panfishing. Some of the finger lakes also have decent trout fishing but not comparable to Lake Ontario. Lake Ontario can offer 25 pound Lake trout, 15 - 20 pound rainbow, and 40 pound plus king salmon fishing.
What fish are you going after and specifically what body of water? This time of year and until fall to get decent Lake Ontario Salmon would require fishing well out into the lake, such as 8 to 10 miles out.

Rndn . . . My Wife won a night at a Holiday inn in Geneva. We are in Albany and I'm familiar with the various lakes and rivers in my area but not any of the Finger lakes.

Which of the Finger Lakes do you think I'd enjoy most?

Ontario is too big for me too as I only have a 15 foot boat. We will probably take a second day, so I was thinking of hitting the largest of the Fingers one day and another one the next day.

I'd like to do a little downrigging, some bass fishing and going after a Muskie would be fun too.

Thx for any suggestions.

Or anyone else familiar with the Finger Chains can chime in too!

rndn

Commander

Expidia.
Honeoye Lake-- Lot's and lot's of largemouth bass. Largest to catch is around 2-3 pounds.
Conesus Lake-- Bass, walleye, pike, muskie. All species have a very good chance of catching a trophy size fish.
Canandaigua Lake-- Lake trout, bass. Good sizes of each, but not the size of the fish in Conesus.
Seneca Lake--Lake trout, bass, walleye. Good sizes of each.
Keuka Lake-- Lake trout, bass, pike, muskie. Good sizes.
Cayuga Lake-- Lake trout, bass, pike, muskie. Good sizes.
Oneida Lake-- Large quantity of smallmouth bass in good sizes, good walleye, 12 to 14 inch yellow perch.
Pick which one you want to fish. I personally like to fish in Conesus because of the size and quantity of the game fish. I know the people down south will laugh at my 5lb 9oz largemouth, but around here it's a large fish and I caught it at Conesus along with a 4lb 10oz, and 4lb 8oz. A 31 inch walleye and a 49 inch northern pike.
Those are just the highlights and it is not unusual to have 25 plus bass days on either Honeoye or Conesus lakes for a morning worth of fishing. Good luck.

bogggar1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Geneva [north end of Seneca] is very shallow all the way down to Roy's Marina... so Bass could be caught in numbers as well as pike/pickerel. Good downrigging in deeper water [80' to 180'] look for ur thermo-cline. Run Sutton Spoons in various [hammered, brass&silver, etc.] and can be had in variaty just ask Larry or Roz at Roy's!!! They are good people!!! Fishing has been good but the north end has been slow for trout... The High Banks [directly across from Roy's] was good to me last time [2weeks] producing 5 lakers and a beautiful 7lb landlocked salmon... But I've been fishing Keuka lake lately so. Anyway Cauga lake is what Seneca was 20 yrs ago... HUGE brown, rainbow, salmon, and bass can be found in numbers there but I won't be there till end of July so if U do fish it please let me know how U made out!!! Also let me know if U did good on Seneca as well... I fish alot so lets keep in touch here and I'll give U updates and as much info. as I can to make sure U and wife have a great Finger Lakes experiance!!!!

Expidia

Commander

Geneva [north end of Seneca] is very shallow all the way down to Roy's Marina... so Bass could be caught in numbers as well as pike/pickerel. Good downrigging in deeper water [80' to 180'] look for ur thermo-cline. Run Sutton Spoons in various [hammered, brass&silver, etc.] and can be had in variaty just ask Larry or Roz at Roy's!!! They are good people!!! Fishing has been good but the north end has been slow for trout... The High Banks [directly across from Roy's] was good to me last time [2weeks] producing 5 lakers and a beautiful 7lb landlocked salmon... But I've been fishing Keuka lake lately so. Anyway Cauga lake is what Seneca was 20 yrs ago... HUGE brown, rainbow, salmon, and bass can be found in numbers there but I won't be there till end of July so if U do fish it please let me know how U made out!!! Also let me know if U did good on Seneca as well... I fish alot so lets keep in touch here and I'll give U updates and as much info. as I can to make sure U and wife have a great Finger Lakes experiance!!!!

Thx Bogggar1 and rndn for both of your the quick responses to my questions. I'll stop at Roy's first to get the lowdown and pick up some of the spoons while I'm there that Bg mentioned. And rndn that list of fish listing for each lake was quite thorough!

I've fished many areas around the region where I've lived for the past 30 years, so I'd be happy to give you some tips if you ever get to this area. Mohawk river, the Hudson river, Lake Champlain, Lake George and many of the lakes in the Adirondacks.

One more request . . . Lake George is a 32 mile lake that also has many restaurants where I can dock my boat and have lunch or dinner. Which of the Finger lakes has the most lakeside/dockside options for dining, if any at all.

My Wife will fish all day with me as long as she knows there is a decent meal and a cocktail or two at the end of the day, where we can pull up and have dinner overlooking the lake?

bogggar1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well if ur on Seneca then the spot to go [depending on gas and time] The Showboat... I can check my GPS if u'd like to tell u exactly how far it is from Roy's... Or u can dock at Roy's and walk across the highway [Rt.14 west side of lake] and have ur cocktails at Vonnie's Boathouse!!! Finger foods last time I was there!!! Get urself a Seneca Lake map would help U tremendely!!!! Get back at me for anything else u need!!! Glad to help U!!!

bogggar1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If ur looking for alot of bars and such on lake w the most people then get at me but if ur looking for convience [the closest to Ramada] then Seneca place to be... Don't pay another nite at Ramada spend 3 or 4 days here and I'll recomend a different place to stay every nite [lakeside] or Spend 2 nites on one lake and 2 nites on another!!! If u'd like I can get U phone numbers of these places to help u!!!

Expidia

Commander

If ur looking for alot of bars and such on lake w the most people then get at me but if ur looking for convience [the closest to Ramada] then Seneca place to be... Don't pay another nite at Ramada spend 3 or 4 days here and I'll recomend a different place to stay every nite [lakeside] or Spend 2 nites on one lake and 2 nites on another!!! If u'd like I can get U phone numbers of these places to help u!!!

I was thinking of doing Seneca lake one day and Cayuga lake another since they are the largest. I've never even traveled the full 32 mile length of Lake George yet!

So I think those two Finger Lakes this trip will keep me busy enough for two days, weather permitting. Cruising from end to end on each and trolling for Lakers for a time along the way while hitting a few bass spots.

BTW is fishing for Muskies different than say trolling for Walleyes? I would think speed and finding the correct water temp that they like and of course the proper lure?

I'm always on the move. I have a 15 foot boat trailing it behind a Saab 9-5 and like to traval to different places rather than own a bigger boat and be stuck in the same marina each weekend (been there done that).

More than a day or two on the same lake and I get bored. If I were taking more time off this next trip I'd probably go up to the St. Lawrence Thousand Islands area rather than hit more of the smaller Finger lakes.
Last time I was there on a boat was 25 years ago and I want to go back.

I was surprised to see the Finger lakes only has two islands for all of them!

Seems the glaciers ripped out those Finger lake chains and scenery wise I think the Thousand Islands region might be somewhat more scenic. I remember cruising by some of the homes on those islands and they were spectacular.

My guess is you see one Finger lake and you've seen them all. But that's why I'm going there to check them out! I'm expecting it to be a lot more rural like some of lakes in the upper Adirondack region.

If I was with a buddy, I'd zero in on fishing for certain species on some of the smaller Finger lakes, but since I'll be with my Wife I need to keep her entertained a little by doing a little boat sightseeing along the way. Fish a little, cruise a little. Something for both of us.

I was not happy the 30 Merc 4 stroke's performance due to the weight of this boat. So I asked the dealer to order me a 40hp which is the max. Should be in around July 4th, so as soon as it's on the boat I'll set up my finger lake weekend.

Those extra 10 hp's will pop me up on plane faster and help me to cover the lakes a little quicker.

rndn

Commander

One thing not yet mentioned is the wineries around the finger lakes. There are hundreds of very good wineries all on the hills surrounding the lakes. Makes some nice meals and drinks after a long day on the lakes.

bogggar1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If Seneca and Caugua are the target lakes then I can help u w Seneca... First off don't come here expecting to catch muskie. If u want to fish for muskie then try Lamoka and Wanetia lakes [smallest of finger lakes] and they have large-smallmouth bass in good numbers...
U will enjoy Caugua it's great fishing so they all say but I can't recomend much for there... They still have smelt in good numbers as well as sawbellies so if u get those Hemlock spinners [uses sawbelly as the bait] I believe u and wife will enjoy great fishing!!! Roy's doesn't carry those blank spinners so contact Sutton for a dealer near u!!!

Expidia

Commander

One thing not yet mentioned is the wineries around the finger lakes. There are hundreds of very good wineries all on the hills surrounding the lakes. Makes some nice meals and drinks after a long day on the lakes.

True, but I'm more of a California wine guy. We hit a few wineries whenever we are there. Never could get into NY wines.

Expidia

Commander

If Seneca and Caugua are the target lakes then I can help u w Seneca... First off don't come here expecting to catch muskie. If u want to fish for muskie then try Lamoka and Wanetia lakes [smallest of finger lakes] and they have large-smallmouth bass in good numbers...
U will enjoy Caugua it's great fishing so they all say but I can't recomend much for there... They still have smelt in good numbers as well as sawbellies so if u get those Hemlock spinners [uses sawbelly as the bait] I believe u and wife will enjoy great fishing!!! Roy's doesn't carry those blank spinners so contact Sutton for a dealer near u!!!

Will do! I figured the Muskies would be on the Western most lakes anyway.

rndn

Commander

lake Ontario is a very stable lake. Whoever said it jumped to 14 footers must not know how to measue waves and doesn't know to view a marine forecast prior to fishing.

rndn

Commander

The best muskies are in Chatauqua Lake south of Buffalo but too far for you to drive.

bogggar1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I was a kid when that happened and the guide said they were '14 rollers' must be a freak thing... but a friend in his 20 Cheiftain had a hell of a time 2 or 3 years ago on Ontario when a storm came out of nowhere... He was so far out no land in site when it hit... At anyrate I was merely saying to be cautious on that lake and Seneca too... especialy in a smaller boat!!! I don't know what ur reading from but there r no walleye in Seneca and no muskie in Keuka!!! Pike and Pickerel yes...