Trolling

Does anyone know how far back your lures should be when trolling? I have a 3.25:1 levelwind reel and was told that 10 "back-and-forths" of the levelwind was enough. Seems a bit short. Also, what is the best speed for trolling? I heard around 4 mph. Thoughts? Thanks guys.

Tom2697

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Trolling

What are you trolling for? I've trolled with the baits ranging from not passing the transom (basically hanging just in the water off the outriggers) to having a "Charley" that is around 500 YARDS back. <br /><br />As for boat speed, this too depends upon what you are going for. I bump-troll (aka - slower than slow troll) for tarpon and kings by bumping the trans in and out of gear and I'll troll up to 18 knots if going for wahoo.

I'd mainly be trolling for Stripers in the Chesapeake. I've picked up a few Spanish Mackeral and Blues out there too though. I usually find the fish ok (marking schools on the finder) but can't get them to bite ... except for a few occassions. I don't have outriggers or downriggers. I pull a fair amount of S-turns and I run around 3-4 knots. Just wondering what I'm doing wrong (if anything) since I'm new. Thanks.

Tom2697

Seaman Apprentice

I haven't gone bluefish or striper trolling in at least 15 years so I can't give you too many specifics. However, I've learned that what works for one species, usually is true for another. So, start by staggering your baits. In other words, if you run 4 rods, put your aft rods in the positions closer to the transom. Just make certain that the front rods can clear them when a fish strikes. Now, if these baits are skipping, use a rubberband wrapped around the line and secured onto the reel handle (a poor man's flatline clip). This will reduce the line angle to the water and allow the baits to run truer. Don't worry, the rubber band will easily break on a strike. With these baits, run the one bait on the third wake behind your boat. Run the other on the fifth wake. With the other rods, run the baits on the 7th and 9th waves. This will allow the baits to cross over when you turn and straighten out when you resume course. Only run your baits parallel if you're using outriggers or have a really wide transom. If your baits still are skipping, run them all a little further back (ie - 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th). <br /><br />Now, if you find a school feeding and they won't hit what you are pulling, change what you are pulling whether it is color, style, or (most importantly) size. You can also run the lures further back from the boat since the boat might be interrupting their feeding. A common saying is that big baits bring big fish. BUT, often schooling fish are feeding on small bait. Try to "match the hatch" if you can. And, once you catch that first fish, figure out what it is feeding on. See what it spits up or cut the belly open if it allowed by law. Then match your baits as closely as possible in style, color, and most importantly, size.

cjones4@hvc.rr.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

4 mph sounds kind of fast to me. Up here during the spring run I think most of the trollers go about 1.5 to 2 mph. I think getting your lures at the correct depth is the most important factor. See how deep you're marking the schools and try to match it. I've had more luck with baits than trolling so I tend to drift blood worms and eels more often than trolling these days. When you get a hit on an eel you know it's a nice fish! Good luck.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The gear ratio in the reel has nothing to do with it. The Penn 330 and 309 sized reels pay out just about 10' per bar (once across)so that's the standard you'll hear about on the Bay.<br />As for enough line, you need a depth chart to match the amount of line out, sinker weight, and trolling speed to come up with an approximate depth. In the Spring the top 15' of then wate colum is where you want to be and in the fall/winter you want to be in the lower 15' of the water column. Your trolling speed is a little high but not bad. I typically troll between 2.5 and 3.3 kts. depending on the bite that day.<br /><br />BTW. MPH = cars and Kts = boats

Thanks fellas. I will have to try these techniques. Dingbat, I would've given Kts but didn't take the time to convert. My GPS reads MPH. Guess you can tell I'm still wet behind the ears. :) Also, what do you mean by "water column"? I trolled in the spring running umbrellas with no extra trolling sinkers attached. Did ok. For the fall, I have heard of guys using downriggers, etc ... but I am not that high tech. I guess I will feel it out by using different size trolling weights (8 oz, 12 oz) and varying my speed a bit this fall. Also where, in general, do you fish in the Chesapeake? Thanks for the info.

Sea Mitch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get some wire line and an umbrella rig. Let out 100ft of line for every 10ft of depth. Put the boat in gear, basically idling in gear. Look for the birds or a rock/wreck or ledge. You'll pound 'em! Tubes work good like this too.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

First boat,<br />Up north that setup works fine but down here in the Chessie the shorter your lines the better off you will be. When fishing gets hot and heavy you can get 10 or more boats working a single school and you can literally walk from boat to boat as they pass each other. My long lines are only out about 140’ and that’s pushing the envelope at times.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Blues,<br />Every GPS will read knots. Hit the setup screen and change the speed units over to knots. :) <br /><br />For weights you will need to go a lot heavier than that. The trick is to keep the baits as close to the boat as possible to keep yourself as maneuverable as possible. My deep wire lines are running 28 oz, and 32 oz. and the rest of my eight lines are staggered up from there. My long lines are running 16 oz. each.<br /><br />You’ll find me from Chesapeake Beach down to About the 70 buoy typically but I’ve been known to venture south down to the CBBT from time to time also/

Dershman

Seaman Apprentice

Blues, Like your pen name!<br />Standard proceedure around Cape Cod is 1.5 knts for stripers, 4-7 for blues, albies, bonita. For stripers I always try to get as close to the bottom as possible. using lead core line (works on you r current tackle no need to buy new outfits for stainless - (though I'd love to have the money and room on my boat to get more gear)) with lead core I calculate 5 feet of depth for every color let out. reading my gps chart and dprthfinder I try to be 5' from the bottom. If the bottom is clean sand w/o obstructions or grass then sometimes I skipp my tube or jig along the bottom.