trolling rod suggestions

mattttt25

Commander
i'm looking for suggestions on trolling rods to be used for striper...<br /><br />i received soem nice, high-end reels for a gift- four shimano ld200 charter specials. awesome reels, expensive, etc. i want to match them to decent rods.<br /><br />based on my current rods, i think i'm looking at 6 - 7' length, medium-heavy action, etc. something that sits well and can be managed around the boat when a strike hits.<br /><br />i was looking at the penn long beach rods, but they sell for so cheap- i can get them new on ebay for less than $20 a pop, and at other places for around $25. seems kind of cheap for a penn reel. opinions?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: trolling rod suggestions

Matt,<br />The Penn Senator, Penn Mariner, and the Ugly Stick BWB1140 66 are pretty typical of the rods used for trolling the Bay. I run nothing but 4/0 stuff but you can get by with 3/0 equipment if you prefer. Just keep in mind that you will be under gunned when the big boys show up. <br /><br />You may also what to think about your reel. While the Charter Special is a fine reel, it’s only a 20 lb. reel which is a little on the light side for Bay duty. I certainly wouldn’t try and pull umbrellas with it and you could get into trouble with it if bubba decided to show up. <br /><br />I’m running all 6' customs now but before I moved over to the dark side my favorite combo was a 4/0 Penn Senator paired up with a Penn 330 GTi spooled up with 40 lb. mono. That combo will do just about anything you need to do in the Bay.

myotherjob2

Cadet

I use a Penn peer stick but wish I had a Daiwa Beefstick or any rod with a medium action.It hurts,so next time I will match the rod say medium/heavy to my reel utilizing their recommendations printed on the rod and reel.I wish I had roller tips for trolling too.Also wish I had gimbels-that little cross to keep the rod in my holders and a better rubber grip/bottom for cushion.Oh well I'm learning...

Capt.Skid

Cadet

Matt, my suggestion is set up your outfit to what is comfortable to you. You can easily go overboard with too heavier gear. Ive been fishing<br />the CBBT and waters off Va.Beach for the last 25yrs. Wire-lineing,jigging,live-baiting and plug trolling with Tomics and Mo-Jos. I use Penn 320GTIs down to 501-peen Jigmasters. Remember its still a sport. What fun is it to use a block and tackle on 30-40 lb. fish?<br />Capt.Skid

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I use a Penn jig master 500 for wire line jigging and a 330 for blues.Remember though.It is neither the rod nor the reel.It is you.