Trolling Plate Installation, Good Idea?

XchichaX

Cadet
Hi every one, i just purchased a 1969 lone star boat with a inboard/outboard, this is my first boat experience and i think i got a good deal, boat is in really good shape, its aluminum 16ft.
The reason i am here is because the boat does not have a trolling bracket, i have always believe that is a good idea to have a second motor just in case the main power goes out, now i really want to install a new trolling bracket, i just need some help in the process, how safe is it for me to do it with no experience on doing anything like that, i would appreciate any help, thanks and God bless.

(ill post pics later when i figure how to post them)

XchichaX

Cadet
Re: Trolling Plate Installation, Good Idea?

Does anyone know where i can get a nice trolling bracket for a good price?

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trolling Plate Installation, Good Idea?

Hi!

This site (iboats) has several. Click on Boat Parts and Accessories above, then type in a search for motor brackets. They are $80.00 and up. The cheaper ones are stationary. Others have a raise/lower feature. I'm not sure which would work on your boat, as engine size and transom angle may have an influence on your project.
Installation would be fairly easy, as they are a simple add-on. You'll have to drill some holes, use good fasteners and seal the holes properly. If you're comfortable installing shelving units, repairing a broken chair, replacing a toilet seat, etc... you should be fine. ;) Is there any chance of just attaching a small motor directly over the top edge of the transom (without a bracket)? I'm sure you've thought of that.

Larry