Trolling motors

Big Daddy10

Cadet
Can anyone help me find a potentiometer to an old MotorGuide HAWG trolling motor? The motor s/n is 2100631700. The pot is a three pronge but only two are connected. The brand may be A-B the number on it is 9683 and it is a TYPE J.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trolling motors

Welcome to iboats.

Have you tried trollingmotorparts.com ?

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A-B would be Allen Bradley. Type J is a wirewound pot. Unfortunately, I suspect that 9683 is a date-code, not a part number. You will need to find the value and then the replacement is very easy (but you already knew that.) Are there any other notes on the housing? Can you measure any resistance between any of the terminals?

TerryMSU

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

contact newark electronics.. You can look them up on the web.

TerryMSU

contact newark electronics.. You can look them up on the web.

Newark cannot help you without a vaule or a manufacturers part number. He still needs the part number or value. Contact MOTORGUIDE. They should be able to help him.

TerryMSU

Big Daddy10

Cadet

A-B would be Allen Bradley. Type J is a wirewound pot. Unfortunately, I suspect that 9683 is a date-code, not a part number. You will need to find the value and then the replacement is very easy (but you already knew that.) Are there any other notes on the housing? Can you measure any resistance between any of the terminals?

TerryMSU

If the pot is bad, would I be able to get an accurate reading on the terminals?

TerryMSU

If the pot is bad, would I be able to get an accurate reading on the terminals?

Depending on what the nature of the problem is, you MIGHT get a reading. Also, check your private messages.

TerryMSU

Big Daddy10

Cadet

I was able to get a $15.00 replacement pot from Tri-State in Hazelwood MO. Although the guy didn't think it would fix my problem. I tested the old pot and got very erratic resistance reedings. I tested the pot I was sold and it was a very smooth transition from zero to 250 ohms. I replaced the pot and the trolling motor now works as good as you would expect a 36 year old motor to work. It has a nice speed change through all the settings. I couldn't be happier.

If anyone knows where to find a manual or any other information on a 1976 Fabuglas TRI-160 I would appreciate the info.