Trolling Motor Replacement Shafts

jsmcc

Cadet
I have an older Evinrude bow-mount 12/24 hand control. Works pretty good, but only has a 42" shaft (kinked style). On the front of my Carolina, you kind of have to bend down to reach it. Thought about just extending the shaft and wiring, but wanted to see if buying longer shafts for existing motors is possible?<br /><br />Any thoughts?<br /><br />Thanks, Jeff

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trolling Motor Replacement Shafts

Ya' may be able to go to a 48" shaft Jeff. Can ya' post the model number? Or would that still be to short?

jsmcc

Cadet

OBJ<br />48" would definitely help. I will post the model number tonight.<br /><br />Thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

That'll work jtexas. Cheaper to..... :)

jsmcc

Cadet

Sorry for the delay in getting back with you guys, this thing called work has kept me away. I have tried the handle extensions, but the front seat is too close to make it work well. The model is Evinrude 0BHL4A. A 48" shaft might be exactly what I need if I can find one.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Tell ya' what Jeff....might be better off living with what ya' got. Changing the shaft out can be a real pain. Getting it apart from the lower unit most time involves applying heat to the lower unit head. This means tearing the lower unit apart so the components in the head are not ruined from the heat. You will also need to dismantle the upper housing also. All in all a time consuming job. You'll also need new o-rings to reassemble the lower unit with.

jsmcc

Cadet

After a couple of weeks in the 10K Isle area, I guess its not that bad. Wouldn't be worth a lot of time or money to change it out. I would be better off getting a totally new trolling motor.<br /><br />Thanks for all the advice. Ended up saving time and money.