Trolling Motor Recommendations

NCUndertaker

Cadet
I just purchased a 20 ft Tracker Grizzly Aluminum Boat w/ 2002 Mercury 125 hp. I want to add an electric trolling motor for lake and river use. I want a bow mounted, foot controlled motor. Other than that I would like some suggestions as to brand, model, shaft length and thrust needed. How is the best way to measure shaft length needed (put in water and use a yard stick?)?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trolling Motor Recommendations

Your motor choices are essentially MotorGuide and MinnKota. There are a multitude of choices on either side which include electric steer (both foot pedal and wireless), cable steer, autopilot and built in locator transducer so the choice is really what works for you. I think the Terrova is over priced for the little benefit it has over the V2. As for shaft length, the best way to determine that is to launch the boat and measure the distance from the mounting surface on the boat to the water and then add one foot to 18 inches. I prefer the longer measurement to ensure the motor stays submerged in heavy swells. The key decision in this is how long your fishing day typically is and how you use the motor. If you slow troll for hours you would be advised to get a 24 volt motor which would put you in the 60 - 70 pound range. If you do mostly position fishing and use the big motor to get to a spot and just use the troller to move around that spot, you would probably get by with a 55# 12 volt V2 or similar. Only you can decide on these factors. If it were mine, a 20 foot boat would have a 24 volt motor.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

Since you mention "river' use, that leads me to believe you'll be using it in current. As I recall, that boat/rig is well on it's wayt to 2000# once fully rigged and fueled. A 55# motor will move it but not well if moving into into a current and /or15Knot wind. I wouldn't consider less than a 80# thrust/ 24V system myself.

When in doubt, just ask bass pro/tracker what motor they rig them with when they are going out the door.

John_S

Rear Admiral

When in doubt, just ask bass pro/tracker what motor they rig them with when they are going out the door.

Those Tracker Pkgs usually lean toward the "value" end of things. Many of the gas motors are borderline underpowered. Same goes for trolling motor and fish/depth finders that are included. I'd be happier going with your first suggestion! :)

mystro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Those Tracker Pkgs usually lean toward the "value" end of things. Many of the gas motors are borderline underpowered. )

When did things change..usually dealers/manufacturers try to sell over powered boat engines--I had one dealer who insisted my 17.5 aluminum walleye boat needed the 150 and that's the way he equipped them, I called Cabelas who also carried the exact same boat (Alumacraft) and they put 90 or 115's on which was not only the correct HP but they said even a 75 would work but suggested the slightly higher because of the 37 gal fuel tank. Now if your a tournament pro..get the biggest gas hog you can mount.

=m=

NCUndertaker

Cadet

Thanks for the help...I tend to agree that Tracker usually lowballs the engines on their boats. Example, this boat will list as having a "standard" 40 hp for the package boat. Makes the price look real good until you realize that 40 is not near enough for this boat.

I am leaning to the 24 volt motors for the extra thrust.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

"Those Tracker Pkgs usually lean toward the "value" end of things" Understood ( especially when it comes to outboards) but it would answer his question on shaft length and minimum thrust.