Trolling Motor Problem

Rob Fisher

Cadet
I have a 1998 minnkota Maxxum 74 (24 volt)and I had a cracked shaft which caused water to get into motor.I only realized this when I would hit the power button and there would be a 2-3 second hesitation before the prop would spin. i quickly replaced the shaft and cleaned and dried out the motor and all of its components. Although I got to it quickly rust had formed on some of the parts. I cleaned off all the rust completely and re-assembled the motor. I then ran the motor with no problems for two fishing trips then the hesitation started again. I figured water got into the motor again but when I disassembled it there wasn't a trace of moisture to be found.I dont have an authorized dealer to look at this thing with in a 125 miles of me and was hoping someone could give me some suggestions on what to try next.I have a good mechanical backround and have eliminated the chance of it being a switch problem. I was thinking of replacing the brushes. Any other thought would be greatly appreciated.Or if someone may have had this problem themselves. Thanks :confused:

petryshyn

Commander
Re: Trolling Motor Problem

>apply a voltmeter to the leads going to motor from the control board. Does the delay also occur with the applied voltage? If it does, its a control problem. If there is no delay to the applied voltage, but the motor hesitates, then check the following: <br /><br /><br />>check brush springs (get damaged badly from moisture and lose their tension=bad connection)<br /><br />>defective armature may show itself by dis-similiar colors of commutator bars(eg. 2 bars burnt, others OK)<br /><br />>commutator turns green from moisture and provide intermitent connection(polish the commutator with 180-320 grit sandpaper)<br /><br />>check brushes (worn brushes lose their effective stroke and make intermitent connection)<br /><br />Good luck! :)