Trolling Motor Fuse

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all...

Is it a good idea to have a fuse in between the trolling motor and the Battery? I thought It wouldn?t be a bad idea to have it but wasn?t sure what type of fuse to be used with that setup. Trolling motor is Minn Kota 12V 55LB thrust powerdrive v2.

Thanks
Zipp

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trolling Motor Fuse

In my opinion it is a must. You never want a circuit wired directly to the battery without some type of fuse or breaker just incase of a serious short. They make and sell 50 amp resettable breakers for just that very reason. Do a little research. They are not hard to find...

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

Cool.. thanks I didint know what amp to use.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The breaker gets installed at the battery -- not farther forward toward the motor.

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

I found a braker for the trolling motor at my local Trolling motor servicing store. Thanks for al the replys

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It's interesting that the cost of the recommended 60AMP fuse/breaker is so high. In doing some research while buying all the assorted items needed to install my new system I found the exact same brand and style of breaker for $24.99 online, the only difference is the AMP rating, 20 through 50 AMPS are at $24.99, then 70AMP and up are $24.99, the 60amp model is $39.99 and up. It appears that because of the demand for the 60 AMP version (recommended and sold by Minn Kota) the price is jacked up. These are the exact same breakers from the same manufacturer.

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

Interesting. I got mine today (50 amp) from the Tri State Service for $14.99. Hope to insal it sometime soon

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The type I was looking at was the waterproof resetable type in 60AMP, is that what you found?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Of course not. You have wire that can handle a maximum of 60 amps or so. what do you think would happen if there was a direct short. Yes the wire would melt before the breaker popped. Just install a 50 or 60 amp breaker as Minnkota recommends.

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

thanks Silvertip... 50 AMP it is then