Trolling Motor basic setup

HawkDriver

Cadet
I know that there is alot of info on this forum regarding the setup, and wiring etc... as I have read alot of them. Can anyone just give me a rundown of the basic setup and components needed. I have a 1986 18.5 foot open bow runabout and I really need a trolling motor at this point. <br /><br />Yesterday I was fishing this cove and the wind was so bad that I dragged my anchor and ended up in the back of the cove, I ended up having to get out and use a rope to drag the boat about 100 feet while scaling these steep loose rocky cliffs. The boat came out with a couple scratches and you could say I was a little pissed. I wish the wind would go away someday.<br /><br />I will likely go with a used unit from Ebay or some other classifieds. Definitely bow mounted, not sure of foot or handle. I think about 40# + and I'm not sure of 12V or 24V. I guess I'd need 2 batteries in addition to my main battery, a switch, a plug, some wires, some fuse links. Oh yeah and a charger. Did I forget anything. I am quickly realizing that convincing my wife into about 300 bucks for a used motor is a "little" under par for what it's probably going to end up costing.<br /><br />Whaddya think? Has anyone on here has gotten away with a budget setup with used stuff, and what did you use? Thanks.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Trolling Motor basic setup

you ought to be able to get a used one in good shape, from somebody upgrading or switching from foot- to hand-control or whatever. <br /><br />If you have a fishing chair in the bow and do most of your fishing sitting down, get a foot-controlled model. If you have a butt-pad or no chair at all you'll probably want hand-control with the big handle. and a bigfoot switch or two.<br /><br />40# might be enough for your boat. a 40amp circuit-breaker instead of a fuse. otherwise sounds like you've done your homework. Wish I had more advice for you.

Realgun

Commander

Here this might help.<br /> Best boat wire will get you the 6 guage cable and stuff you need to hook it up fairly cheap.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

40# is not enough oomph for an 18.5 footer. You will likely need a 50-54 inch shaft as well. Better too long than too short. Anything over 55# will be 24V. That means two deep cycle batteries wired in series. Use a circuit Breaker instead of fuses. You'll need a two-bank on-board charger. Hand controlled motors are slightly cheaper than foot controlled but you'll like the convenience.

gregs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm looking for a used trolling motor also at a fair price. A guy I met at the marina told me he ordered his remanufactured from off the web. For about half the price of a new one. He could not remember the site though. So if anyone could put us on the correct path if would be appreciated.

HawkDriver

Cadet

Thanks fellas,<br /><br />So you really think that I'd need more than a 40 pound thruster huh. Whew. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.<br /><br />Well I've seen a couple of refurbs on Ebay lately, <br /><br /> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=4546235876&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT <br /><br /> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=4546235867&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT <br /><br />that might help gregs out. <br /><br />I think I'll opt for a hand controlled one as I have no seat up front and little space. <br /><br />I do have a fairly new Optima Red Top, will this not work well, is there really a big difference with the "deep cycle" marine batteries? Oh and that on board charger you mentioned, does that run off of the outboard engine for recharging while running around the lake?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I'd go with upinsmoke's advice - in a stiff wind on a big reservoir, 40# just isn't going to give you enough power.<br /><br />A deep cycle batt is made to be gradually yet deeply discharged between recharges; cranking batteries are made for quick but shallow discharge cycles. Unless your motor has a big powerful alternator you don't want to try to charge the trolling batteries with it, and depending on your fishing habits it might not be able to keep 'em charged anyway. Instead just let it concentrate on keeping the cranking batt charged up. The on-board charger is for charging 'em on land. Two banks means you can charge 2 batts simultaneously. Recharge the deepcycles soon as you get off the water; sitting around in a discharged state will shorten a battery's life. And keep 'em all topped off when not in use as they will self-discharge over time.<br /><br />What lakes will you be fishing on?

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Do your self a BIG favor. Call on the toll free phone # Minn Kota ask them what size trolling motor and shaft length you need on the windyist day you expect the motor to pull you around. They are damm good at sizing motors. What they recommended for my 18.5' bowrider 3300# Mercruiser 5.0L V8, was right on. Compared it to another guy's his works fine. $$ shock. Be prepared for larger than you think. Good luck. I went with a new recondition. No problems.

oregonducker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

gregs,<br />Cabela's has the refurbished minn kotas when they can get them.