trolling motor 16' flat bottom wood skiff

stevepgill

Cadet
Hello,<br /> I would like to know what size electric trolling motor to get for a wide-beam 16' flat bottom plywood skiff. I will be using it in lakes and some salt as a back up to my four stroke.<br /><br />All the best,<br />Steve Gill

Dan H.

Cadet
Re: trolling motor 16' flat bottom wood skiff

Hey Steve! Your ? caught my eye cause I too own a 16 foot plywood skiff of my own construction. I have a 50 hp mercury main motor with a "RL30" Motorguide at the bow. Like you I also use it in lakes and on the Columbia river out here in Oregon. For me the main issue was batteries. I only wanted to carry one for the elctric motor. So my advice would be to get one offering the most thrust from one 12 volt battery. Also, if I had to do it over again, I would get one with a remote controller as I often troll with the electric on low while using the big motor as a tiller and it would be very handy if I could make minor adjustments to the electric from the aft portion of the boat.

stevepgill

Cadet

Hello Dan H,<br /> Thanks for the inside tips. My email address is parfleche@gmail.com. Email me and I will send you a pic of the flatty. <br /> Your must go like a bat out of gehena with a 50 hp. I have yet to get mine wet. See my post in the honda section.<br /><br /> Thanks again for the info.<br /><br />All the best,<br />Steve Gill

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

small world. I (a.k.a. Fishingdan) am also a Dan H. Additionally, I also built my own boat.

Dan H.

Cadet

Sheeesh! Small world indeed. We're almost kin! ;)