Trolling a Fly with your Spinning Rod and Reel

Uncle Wes

Cadet
UP3929.jpg
<br /><br /> As the season progress’s it seems that those trout become very wary of everything you have in your arsenal. You’ve tried all your hardware tactics and every piece of equipment in your tackle box, from flashers to worm trolls but nothing seems to be working. Don’t get stuck in that mind set that the fish aren’t biting or that the lake is fished out. Try something new, trolling a fly. But you say you can’t afford a fly rod and reel, not to mention the sinking fly line, backing and etc. Well don’t worry if you have a spinning rod and reel then you have the most versatile piece of equipment available at your disposal. This combination allows you to bank fish from the bottom, attach a bobber, and even troll your hardware. Remember it’s not the guys with the most toys or most expensive equipment that catch fish. It’s your knowledge, skill, and your flexibility that will produce fish consistently.<br /><br />This is why I think we should talk a little bit about dragging a fly with your spinning rod. Here in the North West where I live the most productive trolling flies seem to be the Black Wooley Bugger, the Green Wooley Bugger, and the Green Carey Special. I have also heard that a purple leech pattern does very well. Talk to the folks in your area and I’m sure they will be glad to tell you, which fly works best for trolling your lake. Now lets talk about the set up, it’s very basic and simple. I start out with a snap swivel form my main line I prefer the black ones myself. I then attach a keel sinker, which is available in most tackle stores. They come in 1/16 oz all the way up to 4 oz. In my tackle box I carry 1/16, 1/8, ¼ and 3/8, sizes. The advantage to the keel sinker is that it doesn’t spin and twist your line and also runs truer than any other I’ve used. Next step is to attach you’re your fly and leader to the sinker. I prefer to use about 10’ of either 4lb or 6lb test leader. I then use a clinch knot to attach my fly to my leader, now your ready.<br /><br />Now lets discuss tactics. I will talk about what works best for me and I’m sure there are other opinions and methods. Experiment until you find what’s working in a particular lake and most important what works for you. Now personally I prefer to troll a fly in the morning or evening hours. These times have been the most consistent for me. How I adjust my weight is by watching the water, if they are rising I will use very little weight. If not I will adjust my weight until I find the correct depth. When trolling I like to let out about a 100’ of line, it seems to get my fly far enough from the boat and the disturbance it causes as you go by. I use the standard S trolling pattern, not a real tight S but a long slow looping S, and every once in a while I will give a my rod a quick short twitching motion. I can tell you I have gotten some of the most violent strikes I’ve ever received using this method. I have noticed that the most productive areas for me in the early morning and late evening have been closer to shore in 4 to 6 feet of water, even closer if you dare. So if nothing seems to be working for you give this a try, it just might turn out to be another weapon in your arsenal.

mountainboy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trolling a Fly with your Spinning Rod and Reel

Thanks for the great information Uncle Wes! :)

Fly Rod

Commander

Nice post!!!<br />When we use to fish a few lakes in Maine such as West lake; Moosehead and Sebago on ice out for land lock salmon a couple of my friends would use an ultralight spinning rod with a fly from the boat.<br />I first seen people using that set up when I was fishing the San Juan River in New Mexico which had about 2 miles of fly fishing only area. It was legal to use a spinning rod with a fly. And to cast out into the river they also used a plastic bobber that you could fill with water as weight to get the fly to the fish.

glass from the past

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Uncle Wes,<br /><br />Nice looking trout! :D <br /><br />I am in the Covington area here in the great NW, you ever fish for trout around here? I been hittin the local lakes around here for a couple a years but I always seem to land "stocked fish", with the exception of a few triploids ("stocked" also)I have yet to get a trout over 2 lbs at the most. I been using the usual fare: floats, powerbait, spinners, but never tried a fly. Perhaps this new aproach will yield better results. Nice work, keep up the posts!

Uncle Wes

Cadet

Thanks fellas, Glass your just south of me. That photo was taken at Banks Lake. Had an hour to kill on my way home and thats what I came up with. Send me an email, we'll talk. Thanks again fellas. :D <br /><br />Go to my home page and my email address is there.

JRJ

Commander

Thanks for the tip Uncle Wes, but what does a keel sinker look like?

ratherbefishin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have good success by trolling flies or tiny brass spoons-3/4 '' long-black seems to work well when the trout are rising.Red, white or plain brass works too.I let out 100 ' of line, no weight except a big bead swivel[ like I use for salmon trolling] 4' ahead of the spoon.I like rowing so you can vary the action, let it sink a bit, and then pull hard a couple of stokes, and that will often get a strike.I found thatif the water is glassy calm you need a longer line, too, rippled water you can shorten it up.A nice pulling boatis very pleasurable to fish out of- I built a light 12' stitch and glue '' Peeper'' Sam Devlin design.It's on the web

JRJ

Commander

Thanks Uncle Wes :cool: