troll motor indicator!

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have 1991 Johnson troll motor that doesn't have the direction indictor on the top of the motor. The guy I bought it from said it had fallen off somewhere on the road. Is this the cause of my going around in circles when I want to use the troll motor? Im fairly new w/troll motors so this might sound stupid,but I've always heard the only stupid question is the one not asked. I've also been told they don't make Johnson troll motor anymore. So am I stuck w/junk?<br /><br />Dutch

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: troll motor indicator!

Dutch, Is this a foot controlled motor? Have you tried lowering it while boat is out of water and seeing if the foot control makes the motor turn?<br /><br />BL...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Dutch.<br /><br />Are you telling us that with your boat going in circles you can't tell where ther motor is pointing? :)

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I use the troll motor you can see the gears inside the motor pivot. Yes it is a foot controlled troll motor and the indicator on top is gone. I tried for over and hour to rig some way to get it to go straight. This troll motor had set through Texas summers and wet winters when I bought the boat. I really don't know very much about troll motors so that's why I 've waited until to ask about this because it really sounds like a boating 101 question. It does have good power,but no direction.<br /><br />Dutch