Trimming a I/O

I bought the boat below with the engine dismantled and the gears in the upper drive trashed. Now that I have it up and running I have a question about the correct use of and when to use the trim. Any info will be appreciated.<br /><br />Mike

beckerdg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Trimming a I/O

You can trim all the way down to try to hold a low speed plane, or if you are running fast trim up slightly to raise the bow and reduce drag and get extra speed. Generally you will run most efficient when trimmed to the point just before your boat porpoises. Then if you get into a shallow area you can trim all the way up to idle through a shallow area. Never run in gear with your outdrive above the trim zone or trailered. One other thought, if the water is rough, you might trim down more than normal causing the bow to plow or slice through the waves.

potis

Recruit

One other note to think about, depending on your hull type (Deep Vee vs. flat ski type), if running trimmed up a bit to maximize speed and efficiency, you may need to trim back down (in) a bit when making hard turns to prevent cavitation. Also, keep your drive trimmed down when first taking off, to prevent excessive bow rise. Boat on...

rogerwa

Commander

I should make a point of clarification on one of the above posts..<br /><br />The outdrive should not be run above the max trim level or should be avoided at all possible costs. Even when the engine is running and NOT in gear, the U-joints will still take a beating.