Trim torque question...

logartist

Cadet
My 1985 Galaxie SST 18' with OMC 3.8 V6 I/O has the Trim stuck down and the tilt does not work either. Turning to port takes considerably more effort on the wheel than turning starboard. Is this due to increased torque from the trim being down, or will a tilt adjustment fix it...or both?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim torque question...

Is this a Cobra or a Stringer? 1985 could be either I think . . . :confused: Hydraulic rams on the drive would be a Cobra, big funny 1/4 gear thing for tilt on the drive would be a Stringer.

Either way the hard steering to port can change with trim, but there is a little vertical trim tab on the anti-Ventilation plate (above prop) that can be adjusted to help with that issue.

Coors

Captain

It doesn't have a whale tail installed, I hope.

logartist

Cadet

Please humor a noob with further explanation...?Que es una cola de ballena?

BTW, I believe I have a stringer...no hydraulic rams here.

QC

Supreme Mariner

OK it sounds like you have three separate and actually unrelated issues. On a Stringer drive tilt and trim are independent systems, and steering torque is yet another issue that can be affected by trim, but that is not the primary cause/concern.

1) Tilt is accomplished with a small motor that is similar to a starter motor, but also reverses. There is a large gear segment on the drive outside the boat that this motor acts on to move the lower unit up and down. There is also a clutch system between the small drive gear and the motor. Up is primarily for trailering. The drive should be fully down when underway. This is very important with Stringer drives. Problems can exist with wiring, switches, solenoids, the clutch and the motor itself. The clutch, motor and the solenoids are the primary culprits.

2) Trim on a stringer is handled by height adjustment on the front motor mounts. I believe that your 3.8 should have two hydraulic rams as front motor mounts. Basically they raise and lower the front of the engine, and that up and down results in the opposite at the drive. Up on the mounts causes down (in) trim and down on the mounts causes up (out) trim . . . This is the adjustment for, hole shot, top speed and ride comfort that you use underway. Problems can exist with switches, wiring, pump and the rams themselves.

3) Steering torque is adjusted by way of a small vertical trim tab that is bolted to your drive. It is immediately above the prop and mounted to the big horizontal flat thing called the anti-ventilation plate (sometimes incorrectly called anti-cavitation plate). This is a simple adjustment and the only way to get it right is trial and error. This diagram should help you with that.

trim-tab.gif

logartist

Cadet

Thanks...perfectly clear and very helpful answer. I had noticed the trim tab with angle marks on it, and assumed it would adjust steering torque, but had read somewhere that having the trim down all the way produces torque to the right. I didn't want to mess with that tab until I found out the torque wasn't a power trim issue, since iy is stuck down. Once I get a couple things fixed I'll try a small adjustment to the trim tab and see what that does. Unless I'm mistaken, a clockwise adjustment should produce a pull to the left to balance her out. The diagram shows for "if boat turns more easily to the right" the tab turned counter clockwise, which seems counter to my limited understanding of physics. The tab acts as a rudder, so a clockwise turn produces more drag on the left surface of the tab, pulling the boat left. I'm guessing the diagram shows what the tab should look like if it pulls right, rather than what you should DO to it to correct it. If I'm just stupid, tell me.

Thanks again.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Well I am not gonna say you're stupid, as I agree it sounds counter-intuitive, but the diagram is correct. If it turns more easily to the left, the tab is adjusted towards that side which makes it less easy. This increases the force on the easy side making the other way a little easier . . . Clear as mud to me ;)