Trim & Tilt Question Mid 80's Mercury Motor

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a mid 80's 80 HP Mercury motor, the up trim on the handle doesn't work but when I hit the Trim button it goes ups.
What is the difference between the "Up" button & the "Trim" button?

Also on the motor bracket there some kind of sensor with a button on it, if I holf this button in the up trim works.

Can somebody explain how this works?

Thanks/Jerry

Superjetjim

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trim & Tilt Question Mid 80's Mercury Motor

Sounds like a faulty trim rocker switch on the control box or a wire in between that and the relay for the trim motor..

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class

I removed power from the control box and check the rocker switch and it worked going back to the two wires leading to the motor.

When I hold the trailer button (sensor) in by the transom the up trim rocker works, I never had to work on a trailer sensor so I'm not sure what to check next.

Thanks/Jerry

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

That sensor button your speaking about, is it on the inside of the Ram mounting bracket, if so, then it sounds like you need to adjust that little metal sleeve (located on the ram itself) to push that button in further...sounds like the electrical is working ok, but that button isn't getting pushed in far enough..

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class

The metal sleeve your talking about is on the motor bracket, as soon as the motor starts to raise the sensor button no longer makes contact.

I also notice that the "Trailer Button" only lifts the motor part of the way, in order to raise it enough to travel I need to release the Trim/tilt valve on the pump.

It wouold seem that as the motor came down that the metal sleeve would engage the sensor button & stop the pump/motor form going down, not sure how this effects the up trim.

I guess I'll need a manual to read up on how this work, vis the Ohms test everything looks like it should work.

Jerry

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, so we're on the "same page"....Now, that button is a safety switch that prevents the motor from being raised too far UP (out of the water) when the motor is running. SO with the motor trimmed all the way in, if you hit the UP trim button, the motor will raise until that metal sleeve lets the button pop out...the motor will stop lifting...then you have to hit the UP and Trailer button at the same time (this is overriding that little button) so then the motor will continue to lift to full UP position.

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, I adjusted the safety wsitch and the "Up" trim on the handle works just as you stated. Now I only have one problem left.

The motor doesn't trim all the way up for traveling, it only seems to trim about 90% of the way. In order to lift it the last couple of inches I have to turn the release valve on the pump.

What can I do to acheive the last few inches of travel?

Your help has been much appriciated.

Jerry

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

Mmm...now that's a strange one there! Im very knowledgable about these early trim/tilt systems, i know them like the back of my hand, but never heard of a symptom llike that. Couple simple things first, are you sure the fluid level in the reservoir is correct (motor full UP, fluid in reservoir should be just at the bottom of the fill hole) and have you bleed this system lately? If the fluid level is correct and the system is properly bleed then there is a restriction of fluid going on somewhere in the UP cycle fluid path...That reverse lock knob, when turned all the way out (ccw) makes the pump hold DOWN pressure at the rams, when you turn that knob inward (cw) you are manually releasing that DOWN pressure that the pump was holding...SO it is very possible you have an internal leak in either the ram(s) or in the pump valve itself...I believe that some how the UP and DOWN fluid paths are becoming connected via a leak between the two fluid paths...that UP fluid is running into the DOWN fluid some how and by releasing the DOWN pressure you are allowing the UP fluid to continue on its given path...I'll keep studying this for you...

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class

I filled the trim tank which was a little low, I loosened the air screw and ran the motor up/down several times. It did improve a little, about 1 inch.

Now once the trim has gone all the way up I'm only short about 1 inch befor I can set the travel latch, but I can raise it the by hand without opening the release valve. I'm happy with the way it's working and thanks you for your help.

I'll try bleeding agin this weekend to see if it does any better, but either I'm happy.

Thank/Jerry