Trim/Tilt Noise!

cjmahm

Cadet
I have a 1987 Johnson 110 V4 (reformed VRO) which has been making some noise during trim/tilt as of late. The noise sounds like a loud creaking noise and appears to be coming from the Tilt Cylinder. This has been getting progressively worse over the past few weeks. The TT motor appears to work okay, and the actual motion of trim/tilt seems normal, but the noise has become much louder and occurs all the time now. Suggestions.....anyone, anyone.....Bueller?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim/Tilt Noise!

That noise is from the top tilt cylinder pin bushing being compressed against the bushing due to salt, rust, corrosion. Remove pin and bushings (2 halves), clean, grease, reasemble.

cjmahm

Cadet
Re: Trim/Tilt Noise!

Thanks for the reply, I saw you made that suggestion at least one other time in a previous post too, so I guess that is pretty common. I tried one more thing before going there though. The noise seemed to be coming from the lower part of the cylinder, so I dumped about 1/2 a can of WD-40 where the lower hinge is, and began working the TT back and forth. Low and behold that is where it was grinding and the lube job stopped the noise!