trim tilt motor 1986 125hp Force

Boboater

Recruit
First.. Yes, I bought Chinese junk replacement unit.. twice. This project engine has been butchered by many before me. both relays absent for up and down and was wired directly to a mom-on/off /mom-on switch on the helm. I have to assume this routing did work for a while but NOT for me. The original trim/tilt motor and reservoir unit had 3 wires.. blue, green and black. Replacement needed due to one direction not working and motor contaminated with oil. Spent 2 work days just trying to remove all 3 seized mount bolts.
These new replacements have only blue and green. after installing new relays I can apply current to the control wires blue and green and confirm the relays activate but no motor activity . Even when I apply 12vdc directly to the motor circuits still no motor function in either direction both on the installed new motor and on the new one still on the bench. I am unable to get neither of the new units to run no matter how current is applied. I have tried connecting ground in a couple different ways and still no action on either new motor. Insight on what form of grounding must be employed is helpful too. I believe one of the pics shows a ground wire at the motor mounting screw that I have installed. this went direct to the battery first and then changed to the engine main ground screw. still nothing. And also from a new mounting bolt (5/16x18) at the reservoir housing flange. I have ordered what is shown to be a Mercury specific ground (or bonding?) wire but cant find schematic to illustrate where it connects to. I am posting a few pics as inspiration for any feedback from folks having had similar issues. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230808_121024.jpg
    20230808_121024.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 20230808_121036.jpg
    20230808_121036.jpg
    867.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230808_121231.jpg
    20230808_121231.jpg
    945.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Converting over to a 2 wire: I believe you need to ground the cap where the cap has the wires .
I think?? If you use a 3 position switch for the newer motor you need to run a hot lead to the center pole.
The newer motor is grounded through the body( I think).

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The two wire motor should turn with + to blue and - to green.----And vice versa.----The 3 wire motor just used a solenoid for the UP motion.-----The 2 wire motor uses 2 relays.----Not sure why you ordered the wrong motor !

Boboater

Recruit
Thank you for your thoughts and insight. It has helped. I think I have a bad new motor which is installed. We made the extra new motor run ungrounded on the bench.