Trim/Tilt cylinder pin removal

mckee1787

Seaman Apprentice
I can't seem to be able to push the tilt cylinder ping thru using a three pound hammer and a 1/2 inch extension as a punch. I do have the motor on its tilt lock levers. Am I missing something? I ve sprayed WD-40 for a couple of days. I have to replace the trim/tilt motor on 1987 90 (E90TLCUR)

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trim/Tilt cylinder pin removal

motor on tilt lock, did you release pressure on the cylinder? port side of transom bracket is a hole, inside the hole is a screw, this is the emergency release. lets pressure off.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Have you been able to move the pin at all? The pin will mushroom with widely spaced force, causing it to bind more tightly.

mckee1787

Seaman Apprentice

motor on tilt lock, did you release pressure on the cylinder? port side of transom bracket is a hole, inside the hole is a screw, this is the emergency release. lets pressure off.

I see a small recessed screw on the starboard side. Is this the screw you're
refering to?

Thanks

bdoups

Recruit

I am having the same problem removing my cylinder pin. Just can't figure it out. I have 3 of the 4 screws out of the pump but can not get to the 4th one without removing the cylinder. I tried everything.

Good Luck!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If you can get the pin to move even a little, you can work it from side to side and take the mushroomed edges down a little at a time by sanding. Ideally, you hit the pin with a welder tip and burn the corrosion out. Repeated direct heating and cooling of the pin with a propane torch may expand the holes enough to loosen it if has not mushroomed too much, but be careful of your fuel.

mckee1787

Seaman Apprentice

Oooohh boy, to make matters worst one of the bolt heads snap and while drilling in stages preparing for the extraction tools , "SNAP" my titanium self tapping drill broke inside the bolt. Now what? Sink Her? Maybe time to breakout the high speed cutting tool between the piston and the bracket.
I will try heating/cooling the pin though and try removing.

Thanks

mckee1787

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I manage to finally get the tilt cylinder pin out by heating it up.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Great, when you put it back, sand the ends down straight and load it with Triple Guard Grease (for the next time you have to take it out).

mckee1787

Seaman Apprentice

Great, when you put it back, sand the ends down straight and load it with Triple Guard Grease (for the next time you have to take it out).

Thanks! I've taken some emery cloth to it and looks too good to put back!:D

I still have to tackle one broken bolt head that contains a titanium drill bit in it as I mentioned earlier.:(

jonesg

Admiral

if you can't get it , you can always let a machine shop do it.