Trim/Tilt and Tach

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When I got my boat all of the guages were disconnected so I am trying to fix this. My question is about connecting the Trim/Tilt and the Tach. On the Remote Control there is a spot to plug a harness into and my OMC manual says this is for quick access to the Tach circuits. The harness has three pins in it so do two of them go to the Tach and one of those to the Trim/Tilt gauge? I ask this because in the back of the manual it shows one of these wires going to the Trim/Tilt but says nothing about where the other two go so I assume it is to the Tach Gauge. The engine model is E90TLEND. Thanks for the help.

William

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trim/Tilt and Tach

the 3 prong plug is for the tach only. there should be a short pig tail that the t n t plugs into. is you control set up for the tnt? pictures would sure help.

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You are talking about the five pin that runs from the engine into a three pin plug and two free wires correct? So that is the only thing I need for the T n T? How does the gauge only come on when the ignition is turned on then if it does run into the remote control?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Three of the five wires are for the switch, the other two are for the trim gauge.

The tach gets positve and negative friom the ignition switch and the signal through a grey wire from the terminal block on the engine; the grey wire is in the main harness but not connected to the ignition switch. See the diagram near the end of the following thread: http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ignitionSwitch.html

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok so I need an OMC Tach Harness and then those three go to the tach plus wiring for the illumination and that is all for the tach to work? Thanks.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Pull the positive for your tach light from the blue lighting wire on one of your other gauges. The three wire harness for the tach is a stock dealer item, or you can get the teleflex one from iboats.

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So if I use the teleflex harness I may not need all of the wires it splits into if I am not using a teleflex gauge?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The OEM harness is $10.00 cheaper - part # 174732.

Either one will work on the 1979-1995 OMC or Teleflex 4 wire tachs that have a 5p or 6p setting.

You woud have to rig something for the post 1995 SC tachs with the 8 pin plugs.

Attachments

• Tflex tach harness.jpg
    Tflex tach harness.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 0