trim theory

sonnie

Cadet
can someone explain how the angle that the motor is set at affects performance/handling of the boat. <br /><br />from what i read in some threads on the subject the time it takes to get onto plane is affected by hydrofoils that are fitted to the lower unit (cavitation plate?) and trim tabs connected to the end of the hull.<br /><br />could someone pleas explain the teory behind them so i could use these intelligently. (i dont have a hydrofoil fitted) <br /><br />sonnie :confused:

ParisDakar

Recruit
Re: trim theory

Entire books have been written on the subject, but here's my explanation. The more the engine thrust line points down into the water, the more the stern is pushed up. The reverse is also true, a thrust line level with the water or pointing up out of the water makes the stern dig in and the bow raise up. Boats intended to plane have a major hydrodynamic problem to overcome. It takes a tremendous amount of power to push a boat up onto plane. If the engine can't produce enough power to push the boat past planing speed, you need to make one or more adustments. One, add more power with a lower prop pitch or a bigger engine. Two, change the engine thrust angle making the thrust point farther down in the water. This lifts the stern up and forces the bow down, putting more hull area in the water to distribute the boat's weight on, making planing require less effort. An alternative, if you can't tilt the engine down enough, is to add a hydrofoil or trim tabs. These devices push directly upwards on the engine or the transom, adding extra stern lift. Once on plane, higher performance hulls can benefit from engine tilt the other way, up. The less hull in the water, the faster the boat will run. A thrust line level with the water or even pointing up out of the water lifts the bow and lets the boat run with very little hull in the water and achieve its maximum performance.

deedledog

Cadet

All fluid resistance is proportional to velocity. As far as the lower unit's effect, the hydrofoil will add additional bow lift, but will only have significant effect when the boat has obtained a little speed. From a dead start, a motor trimmed too high will lift the bow due only to the angle of the prop and therefore decrease the surface area of the boat in contact with the water, thereby decreasing the lifting force that puts and holds the boat on plane. At higher speeds, a higher force is generated by the momentum of the boat, and less surface area is required to obtain the same lift. Of course, the less of the boat's hull that is in contact with the water, the less resistance the boat has to force changes in direction. That doesn't necessarily mean it will be harder to control, but, just like an automobile, sudden changes in direction will be much less feasible.

sonnie

Cadet

thanks for the info guys. really appreciate it.<br /><br />sonnie :)