Trim tabs?

Alan Taylor

Cadet
Hi all,<br />We have trim tabs on both 50 hp motors, I think these are the reasons we are using so much fuel, there are only ever 2 of us on the boat. I would post a picture but have no idea how to.<br /><br />Any one agree with me or not please as I am thinking of taking them off.<br /><br />Alan

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trim tabs?

I think you mean hydrofoils, Alan.<br /><br />Check performance, take them off, then check again.<br /><br />I suspect you will find that they help, rather than hinder.

Alan Taylor

Cadet

Thanks JB thats on the ajenda for Wednesday :) I will let you know the results. <br /><br />Ancient Mariner was about the best book that I ever read, on a par with some Louis Lamour ones :) <br /><br />Alan

Alan Taylor

Cadet

OK these things are called Atwood Hydro Stabalisers and we took them off, on a 30 mile trip at mostly 20- 22 knots,we nearly HALFED the fuel consumption :D . On speed test previously I got 28 knots out of her with just myself on board, yesterday 30.4 knots with 2 of us on and Albert is a big guy ;) <br /><br />We had no problems with plaining except it might have taken a couple of seconds longer than before. I think the previous owner had family runs with the boat so a lot more weight.<br /><br />Thanks for your help, any one want to buy some hydro stabilisers :D <br /><br />Alan (nl)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Without changing the set up youre better off without them. Obviously whoever installed them did not realize what they are designed to do. The motors are mounted low enough that the added drag from the fins was causing the problem.<br /><br />If you ever choose to test them make sure you raise the motors high enough to get the fins out of the water once on plane. Run properly they should improve things even more.<br /><br />Good luck!