Trim tabs / extended transom

Strike 1

Cadet
I have a 19 ft. 1971 Sports-Craft cutty cab (C-Eagle)that has a 6ft. beam. I'm having two problems, the bow rides to high and I'm not able to trim it down with the outboard. Secondly there is a constant balancing act with the weight from left to right, moving gear, people, and switching gas tanks on and off trying to keep it "level". I'm thinking trim tabs would solve the left to right problem. I have seen the newer boats with extended transoms, are there "bolt on" transom extenders that would push the outboard back bringing down the bow?

tjthorson

Seaman
Re: Trim tabs / extended transom

trim tabs will totally fix this problem for you. Trim tabs will fix both the bow high condition AND the left right.... What size motor is on that boat and what condition is it in? I hope its at least 100HP for a 19 footer.<br /><br />Find yourself a set of Lenco electrics or Bennett hydraulics and bolt em on. It will be a night and day difference. I went with 9x18s on my 19 footer. A little big, but I wanted to be sure. With the tabs down and full throttle, the v in the hull was throwing 6 foot waves out the sides of the bow. I would bring the tabs up slow and it rides onto plane. Very cool. Good luck!

Strike 1

Cadet

Thank you for the input tjthorson and to everyone who post in the forums, this being my first boat I'm a sponge for knowledge.<br /> You stated you went with 9x18 tabs on your 19 footer... what did the beam measure?<br /> My boat came with a 1995 Suzuki 115 hp 2-stroke....Yea I know,... it has 114 hours on it, it's been a very smooth motor, I run at 3800-4000 rpm, 28-30 mph when I can get it to trim out. Any faster with the bow up and leaning right I feel like I'm gonna do barrel rolls.

D

DJ

Strike1,<br /><br />The Suzuki 15 is a good engine. It's the same as the 140. They suffer, in my opinion, from three things.<br /><br />1. They're thirsty.<br /><br />2. A bit heavy (at 408 ppunds) for a 115.<br /><br />3. The prop. selections are limited and the prop. is relatively small.<br /><br />The trim tabs will fix your situation.<br /><br />Also, make sure your wide open throttle rpm is at least 5600.

tjthorson

Seaman

I had an 85 Bayliner which had a 84" beam. I had to remove the swim platform to mount the tabs, they took up most of the width of the transom. I started them in from the edge about 4". I tried ONCE to drop the tabs while coming off plane. Those tabs were so big, the bow dove into the water and the boat stopped like I hit a brick wall. I literally almost flipped out of my seat. Play with the tabs a lot before loading the boat with people so you see what you can and can't do. They can make such huge differences you have to be careful!<br /><br />Your motor should be fine for what you have - the trim tabs will make it a nice driving ship now....

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I have a 1980 20 foot 5 inch aluminum with a 92 inch beam and a 140 hp I/O. I install the hydralic trim tabs size 24 wide by 12 deep and it is the best thing I have ever added. I can trim the boat for load, wind, or sea condition. With tab all the way up boat planes at 19 mph. All the way down can stay on plane to 9 mph. What a difference when see are 5 to 8 feet. With cross winds my boat would lean into the wind quite bad so the spray from waves would have everything wet on that side. Now I adjust level which raise the windy side and do not get near as wet. The difference in ride on the first rough day made it all worth it.