Trim tab replacement questions CR242 2000

shotime

Recruit
Hey new to the forum. Did a google search and couldn't find specific information but I have a few questions about trim tab replacement.

First, Is it best to replace them together or doesn't it really matter. Had left tab line blow off last summer and don't know if the right is suspect now that it sat unused for the last few months of the season.

Second, the hose goes up to a little metal cover with 4 screws in the hull. After removing the screws the cover doesn't budge nor does the line itself move up or down. Do you just have to pry it off as i'm guessing it is held in place with some caulk or sealant?? Don't want to break it as i'm sure like everything it's tough to find a replacement.

Thanks in advance,

Derek

shotime

Recruit
Re: Trim tab replacement questions CR242 2000

Well for an update to this project the cover was actually held in place by just some caulk. The cover once removed was actually plastic so be careful when you are prying on it. Replacement was actually quite simple just took time and a few trips back into the garage for tools. The cylinder was just held in place with two plastic like sleeves that are just a light press fit removed easily with a hammer and punch. The cylinders are self bleeding so just a few cycles bleeds the air out.

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trim tab replacement questions CR242 2000

shotime,

Back in 2000, Crownline was using InstaTrim trim tabs made by Boat Leveler. The trim tab cylinders can be replaced individually and is not a difficult job to do. Make sure you get the hole through the transom and beneath the cover 100% sealed. If the hole is not sealed, it's a good place for transom rot to begin. 3M 5200 sealant works well.