Trim tab actuator force

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I have been looking into getting smart trim tabs for my boat and have noticed there are different forces ranging from 40 lbs to 80 lbs in the size I am looking at. How do I determine what force is best for my boat? It is a 1977 Crestliner Crusader 550 which is 15.5 ft

Alumarine

Captain
The manufacture usually has a recomendation based on boat size and weight.
Have you been to one of their web sites?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Nauticus has great customer service. Definitely ask before you buy. Also, at least in the past, they were really good about swapping out the pistons if the ones you bought were too firm or too soft. Great company to deal with!

MRS

Commander
check out the web site for the Bennett SLT models yes they do have different sizes for the size of your boat. I did put them on mine 19ft. and love them plus nothing to leak on them.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Josh, I think that you must consider the length and weight of your boat and the severity of any problem you might be trying to correct. Correcting the angle of attack of the boat becomes a balance of forces between the tabs and the lever (your boat) that must be lifted. The longer the boat, the longer the planing surface, the greater the force required to change the angle. Your boat is heavier glass and mine is lighter aluminum, but yours is 6' shorter. I used Smart Tabs cylinders with other tabs that have a larger surface area (12" x 12"), expecting greater efficiency and less drag with larger tabs. The correct force applied by the cylinders I expect to remain the same. I found that the 60 lb actuators were adequate, perhaps even on the strong side. I think that the 40 lb actuators would be the right choice for your boat. - Grandad

JoLin

Vice Admiral
check out the web site for the Bennett SLT models yes they do have different sizes for the size of your boat. I did put them on mine 19ft. and love them plus nothing to leak on them.

I'll be darned. Was not aware that Bennett had taken a page from Nauticus' book and come up with their own self-adjusting tabs.

JoshOnt, I have used the Nauticus Smart Tabs on 2 boats and they worked fine on both. I'll also note that BOTH companies are known for excellent customer service. I'd call them both with the weight and length of your boat and let them advise you. I'd personally be inclined to buy Bennett, but both make a very good product.

My .02

MRS

Commander
Yes both are great companies but I can only speak for the SLT tabs bennetts. I went with them cause springs only so less to go wrong with them.
Made a world of difference on my boat. Check them out on there web page things for me seem to break or go out at the wrong times so I try to get the things that are the best for me and the tabs can be locked in the up position with pins if the need arises. Not knocking any one both great companies tabs should be on all boats when they sell them....:thumb:

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have the Nauticus smart tabs on my 19' Rinker with the 40 lb actuators and they really made a difference in getting on plane. The boat tends to run heavy with 4 divers and gear.