Trim stuck all the way up. What to do?

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
On an 80 model Mercruiser my trim is stuck all the way. It had been working up and down just fine. But while adjusting the limit switch I ran the drive all the way up and it's now stuck there.

The trim motor runs. Have tried running it directly from the down solenoid. Have made sure battery is charged and the grounds are good. Following a recommendation have tried running the down hydraulics while bouncing the drive unit a bit. So far nothing has made any difference. The pump motor runs fine but the drive never moves.

If bouncing the drive unit doesn't release a stuck drive what is the next step to get his thing to lower again? Also, if it's done this once is it likely to do it again?

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Trim stuck all the way up. What to do?

Sorry for the impatience just hoping someone has an idea on this. Maybe there's a hydraulic line that can be cracked to relieve pressure? Have gone through what I could find and understand in the manual. Unit is still stuck in the full up position and I don't know what to do to get it coming back down.

Grub54891

Admiral

Could be a stuck valve in the pump, loosen the return lines and see if it comes dowm,if it does somethimg is amiss in the pump.

Bondo

Staff member

Sorry for the impatience just hoping someone has an idea on this. Maybe there's a hydraulic line that can be cracked to relieve pressure? Have gone through what I could find and understand in the manual. Unit is still stuck in the full up position and I don't know what to do to get it coming back down.

Ayuh,.... Have ya greased the pivots,..?? Disconnect the Up line, 'n push it down...

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ayuh,.... Have ya greased the pivots,..?? Disconnect the Up line, 'n push it down...

Yes, all the service fittings have been greased. Are the lines you guys are suggesting opening the lines to the cylinders outside the boat?

Grub54891

Admiral

Yes, all the service fittings have been greased. Are the lines you guys are suggesting opening the lines to the cylinders outside the boat?

Yup, catch the oil, so you don't make a mess

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yup, catch the oil, so you don't make a mess

That's a plan. Thanks. Was hoping this would be as simple as relieving the pressure by cracking a line. But didn't want to make a mess unnecessarily if it turned out there were check valves in the valve plate or elsewhere that wouldn't allow the pressure to bleed where it needed to.

Is the refill point really through one little screw hole? Fill it with a syringe?

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Refill through the reservoir and cycle the system/rams with the pump to purge the air.

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Simple summary for the end of this one. Quickly cracked the lines. Lost maybe two ounces of fluid all tolled. The pistons dropped just a bit. After that all works fine again. Limit switch now adjusted and the entire systems is operational as one would expect it to be.

Bondo

Staff member

Simple summary for the end of this one. Quickly cracked the lines. Lost maybe two ounces of fluid all tolled. The pistons dropped just a bit. After that all works fine again. Limit switch now adjusted and the entire systems is operational as one would expect it to be.

Ayuh,.... Thanks man, most folks don't do that,.....

alittle Fyi,... When runnin' the drive Up, ya hear the pump go into overload, at the top,..??....

Tap the Down button a couple of times,... Just to relieve the pressure,.....

The drive is Still at full up, 'n yer pump will Love ya for it.... ;)