Trim sinder or gauge issue with 2007 chaparral 276

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetidia654

Recruit
We've been scratching our heads all day over this issue, and without a diagnostic tool we can't really dive much further into it. But, if anyone else has had a similar experience and could shed some light it would be appreciated. I've got a 2007 chaparral 276 with a volvo penta 8.1 GXI in it. Transom is a TSK-C-32 and it is a DP-SA 1.78. When the trim sender is plugged in normally and the drive is trimmed up and down the gauge does not work (stays pegged full up). Take the same sender off the drive and spin it by hand, the gauge will go to about half way then straight back up. Tried with 2 different trim senders and they both do the same thing. Both senders are the 3 wire type. We took the gauge off to make sure it was working properly and it was. Any help figuring out why the sender won't read properly on the gauge would help!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
When the trim sender is plugged in normally and the drive is trimmed up and down the gauge does not work (stays pegged full up). Take the same sender off the drive and spin it by hand, the gauge will go to about half way then straight back up. Tried with 2 different trim senders and they both do the same thing.
Are you manually actuating the sender in the exact same area of rotation as when installed.

Quite common for a rheostat output to go dead in certain areas of travel as they wear out.

Pull wires from gauge. Put a meter on them to see if the full travel resistance values are within spec and are free of dead spots in the output

Jetidia654

Recruit
Are you manually actuating the sender in the exact same area of rotation as when installed.

Quite common for a rheostat output to go dead in certain areas of travel as they wear out.

Pull wires from gauge. Put a meter on them to see if the full travel resistance values are within spec and are free of dead spots in the output
I manually actuated it in the same area as it would normally operated and on a bench. It reads the same in both areas. Granted, both senders will only get to 17 ohms and not 11 like they should. Really hoping I didn't get 2 bad ones and that's why it doesn't work.

saaristo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm interested in how did you verified that the gauge is not the culprit? Do you have an analog gauge or digital or both? I'm having hard time to believe two senders are bad...but not impossible. I'm stuck with this myself, ohmmeter on sender indicates the senders is good when you rotate it by hand or measure the input voltage, but digital gauge displays only error.

Status
Not open for further replies.