trim sending unit / gauge

faithful1

Recruit
1995 225 Johnson Venom. Trim gauge stopped working (registering). Replaced with new teleflex gauge (matched engine model with gauge before ordering) - still not working; replaced sending unit - gauge not registering; took first gauge back to wiring harness so I could use a short jump from harness to gauge and still be able to manipulate sending unit arm. When I would attach jump wire(s) gauge would move all the way in one direction without manipulating sending unit arm; manipulate arm and gauge won't move. Swamp jump wires and gauge will move all the way in the other direction but won't move at all when manipulating arm on sending unit. Sending unit is mounted and grounded. What gives?

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer
Re: trim sending unit / gauge

Disconnect sender from gauge and measure the resistance of the trim sender while moving its arm. Should go from around 10 ohms to 140 ohms. Where is the trim sender grounded to? Probably should measure resistance between where sender is grounded and the gauge ground - should be 0. Other than that it must be how your wiring the gauge. "I" terminal should be to 12vdc (battery positive), "G" terminal to ground (battery negative), 1 wire of sender to the "S" terminal and other sender wire to ground terminal of gauge or other good ground point. Hope this helps.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander
Re: trim sending unit / gauge

Swampshark, before replacing parts, go through the troubleshooting guide on the teleflex gauge website. IT's pretty good and will help you figure out what part is messed up.