Trim Sender

Kelly Ann

Cadet
Trim guage does not work. Starting with the sender, But I can't find it. Clymer's manual says it is on the gimbal ring. Is it inside? Am I going to have to pull the ring to replace this overpriced piece of plastic? :confused: Any help would be much obliged.<br />P.S it is a Mercruiser 233 model 1

flashback

Captain
Re: Trim Sender

I don.t remember which side it is on, but it is at the axis of the gimbal ring on the outside. most likely the wires are damaged, it is a common problem with these units. the wires look like lamp cord. there is a round plastic cap on both sides of the gimbal axis, one is for the trim sender and the other is for the limit switch so you don,t trim to high while running, which could cause big problems because the drive would not be supported laterally..if Trent or Walt see this post they can tell you .........mean time Ill go look it up in my manual and get back to you

Trent

Captain

Flashback is correct..Most likely the wires are bad. The trim gage sender is on the starboard side. Remove the two screws that hold the plastic cover and clean the unit.. and then grease. Kick the drive to one side to look at the wires. Their a pain in the bottom to change.

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

They are a pain to change....that's for sure. My boat didn't come with the trim gauge and I've really never missed it. Personally...I don't think they're worth the hassle to maintain. However, I believe the new trim limit/trim gauge sender packages come as a kit...so if you replace the gauge sender unit...I strongly suggest you also replace the trim limit unit as well. The new kits are an improvement over the original...they aren't bullet proof, but better.<br /><br />Walt

Kelly Ann

Cadet

Thanks for all the advice, sorry I didn't get back to the board sooner. Apparently, I didn't find the sender on the gimbal ring axis because on some of these older models there is a linear-type sender located on the hydraulic sender inside the hydraulic piston assembly. No, I didn't figure it out, I called Mercruiser today. They faxed me a copy of the pertinent pages. Even the guys at the largest local marine shop didn't know. Wasn't in the Clymer manual, either.<br />I remember what you all said about the wiring too. Looked behind the gimbal ring toward the transom, and unfortunately, the wire has been cut.<br />Looks like a project AFTER this boating season!<br />Thanks all.

Trent

Captain

Dont waist your time.. Learn to trim by feel (and listen) and looking at the drive. Older units never had a gage. I dont even look at mine.

Walter

Seriously...the moment I put my boat in gear I can tell where the outdrive is trimmed simply by the way the boat reacts. It's critical that your trim limit switch & related components are in good order...but I'm with Trent...forget the gauge sender.<br /><br />MHO<br /><br />Walt

denniz

The trim guage sender is on the starboard side of the drive, trim limit is portside. They are replaced as a set(Cant but them individually) Your hinge pin could be loose, or you may need senders. If the wires are frayed I replace the senders.

Trent

Captain

Dont know where you buy your parts?? I get them without buying a set.<br /><br />If the wires are frayed...Why buy a sender??????????

denniz

I am a Mercruiser dealer, I buy my parts from mercruiser Trent where do you buy yours?

denniz

Trent in answer to your question, you buy the sender KIT when wires are frayed to replace the complete set.What would you do splice them? Fast Fix sloppy work, itll comeback on you. I dont do that kinda work.

Walter

I replaced my trim limit switch last year...the "kit" came with both the trim limit sender & the trim gauge sender. All wires were attached...as I said...it came in a kit. My buddy installed both senders...but then realized I didn't have a gauge so the gauge wires just dead end inside the transom. I guess some day I could buy a gauge...but as I've said...what's the point? I don't need it...<br /><br />Walt<br /><br />P.S. Should you opt to bag the trim sender...you don't need to install it....just put the cap and gasket back in place...