Trim Sender question

clove

Seaman
1990 135 Black Max S/N# OC138477<br /><br />Have a fairly simple question, or so I think. What is the resistance values I should read at the back of the trim gauge? I ask as I just installed a new sender. When tested by itself I get readings from about 40ohms up to about 90ohms. When I install it on the motor, using the recommended ground, I get nothing. If I take the ground off, and extend it to a ground point on the engine, I get the same values as stated above. Any ideas? I would expect to get about the same readings at the sender as I do behind the trim gauge--but that's not the case.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim Sender question

that tells me you have lost the continuity from the swivel bracket to the engine. you need to replace the continuity wire,also called a bonding wire or make another. without a complete circuit it wont work.

clove

Seaman

Thanks for the response. Where is this wire located?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

There are a few and they are in series ... like christmas tree lights. One bad connection in the chain is all it takes. Rather than try to figure out which and where, I usually just run a jumper wire between the engine block and grounding screw on the sender.

clove

Seaman

Thanks! I found the culprit and corrected it. All works fine now.

danie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And another satisfied customer.<br />D