Trim Sender Alternative Yamaha Sterndrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudsliders

Recruit
My current Yamaha Sterndrive has a 3 wire trim sender installed on the starboard side. It is hooked up to nothing inside the boat since the previous owner switched the yamaha trim pump and associated electrical connections to mercruiser. My understanding is that the yamaha senders are digital and can not be hooked to an analog guage. Trying to find an alternate analog trim sender to fit the mounting location on the gimble housing. Dont really need the trim limit function, just looking to get a visual display on the dash. Looking at pics of the mercruiser pucks, it looks like they are too big and wont reach the gimble bolt. I am pretty certain the answer is going to be... learn to live without it, but I just thought I would throw it out there. Thanks in advance.

Ray

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Trim Sender Alternative Yamaha Sterndrive

How about using the tachometer? Or the old ears? The tachs a better indicator of proper trim than the gauges are anyways.

mudsliders

Recruit

Under way that is a good option, but in my situation, I keep the boat on a mooring off the beach. Bringing the boat in and out to pick up passengers etc, the outrive is up and down alot. it would be nice to have a visual indicator.

Ray

Capt Ken

Commander

Nope, nothing else will fit but being the sender is just a rheostat like any other trim sender, an analog gauge should work.

mudsliders

Recruit

Thanks for the reply Capt. Any idea on how to wire it. A typical sender has a ground wire and a sending wire. The yamaha one seems to have 3 wires. Thanks.

Ray

Capt Ken

Commander

You will need to connect an ohm meter to the wires and figure it out. I've go no idea, never tried that.

Patricktepedino

Recruit
Was this ever figured out. I need to replace my Yamaha trim pump and I’m looking to do it with a mercruiser. Do you have pictures/ a part number of which pump you used?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Was this ever figured out. I need to replace my Yamaha trim pump and I’m looking to do it with a mercruiser. Do you have pictures/ a part number of which pump you used?

Start a new thread so active members see it.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.