trim repair...was clicking, bad solenoid, but in the process up bottom on controls ..

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Uggggg, now I know why pirates cuss. lol, Ok, my 1996 rinker with a 4.3 mercruiser trim was just clicking when I would hit the up button. I located it to a defective solenoid on the up side. In the process of taking it off between the rain showers, I dropped a wrench which caused sparks. Not sure if that was the problem, but somewhere in the process, the up button on the rocker switch stopped working. It still clicks on the trailer button, but not the up button. The down on the rocker switch still works. I read on here, and it sounds like the limit switches. I disconnected and reconnected the wires for those but nothing. I checked the fuses. I did have the solenoids away from the frame, but down was still working. Any ideas??? I don't have the new solenoid yet, will go to the boat place tomorrow.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: trim repair...was clicking, bad solenoid, but in the process up bottom on control

Here are the troubleshooting charts and wiring diagrams. Should help you find your problem. Guessing you have an Alpha drive, you didn't say.

View attachment A1G2 Trim Troublelshooting.pdf

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: trim repair...was clicking, bad solenoid, but in the process up bottom on control

Thanks for the chart DON, I went thur the check list. Most important, I did get a different reading with the motor down, so my limit switch is working. So, I cleaned the connector, best I could. I had the solenoid out, but I got the same voltage from the trailer button as the up button on handle. I will install the new solenoid tomorrow and will know for sure.

Thanks again for your help

NHGuy

Captain

Not to beat this horse, and maybe you learned it, but have EVERYTHING disconnected from the battery when working with this stuff.

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok,: the trailer up button works, the handle up button doesn't.... still. I am trying to find the best way to test the trim limit switch. It has all the signs of a bad switch. What kind of voltage should I see and should I take the round covers off the side of the gimbel to test it there? ,,,,,,,,,,All I wanted to do is replace a solenoid!

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just checked the other side of the limit switch. It connects close to the distributor. Last weekend we had to remove the intake manifold and fix a broken pushrod. May a wire broke then. How can I check the wiring?

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

praise the lord, Jesus, for real,,,,,, broken wire on the limiter. The new solenoid broke also, but that's ok, Thanks thanks thanks

Bondo

Staff member

ok,: the trailer up button works, the handle up button doesn't.... still. I am trying to find the best way to test the trim limit switch. It has all the signs of a bad switch. What kind of voltage should I see and should I take the round covers off the side of the gimbel to test it there? ,,,,,,,,,,All I wanted to do is replace a solenoid!

Ayuh,.... By-pass it in the motorbox where the wires come together,...