trim problems

jesters420

Seaman Apprentice
The trim on my OMC I/O will only raise about half way up. Nothing is blocking it. I have replaced the oil in the clutch housing and that did not help. Another thing is the outdrive will not lock into place. When i go into reverse to fast it will pick the drive right up. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

jesters420

Seaman Apprentice
Re: trim problems

Should I replace the clutch. Can I get any advice on this?

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

the slide clutch in the drive housing? if thats what your talknig about, that has nothing to do with the trim. sounds like there aint enough fluid in the trim pump itself.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like you have an older OMC Stringer, the trim raises and lowers the entire engine/drive through hydraulics on the engine mounts or if it's really old there is a jackscrew, the tilt is the electric motor that raises the entire drive up (engine not running), which is it your talking about?

jesters420

Seaman Apprentice

Its a 1972 Sea Ray, I am only assuming that the 200 OMC I/O is of the same year. It has a tilt clutch and worm gear. Just learning about all this so you will have to be patient with me. Thanks again for any help.

jesters420

Seaman Apprentice

Took the boat out today and the trim went all the way up. I just don't understand it but I am not about to complain. The outdrive came up a little when I put it in reverse but not as bad as it has been. Not to sound stupid but can things work together after it runs more often?

jesters420

Seaman Apprentice

Can it work the bugs out the more I take it out. The guy I bought it from had never even put it in the water.