Trim not constant motion?

GAMAYBERRY

Cadet
I just saved a Bayliner Capri from the woods (I will be posting pictures soon of the restoration) and have noticed that the trim will sometimes stop moving up or down, and I need to release the button, and press it again for it to continue. Could this be air in the lines or is the trim pump possibly going out?

I am new to the forums, so I haven't set up everything yet, but this is a 2000 Bayliner Capri 2050lx with a Mercruiser Thunderbolt 4.3 V6 with a Mercury Alpha One Gen II outdrive.

Thanks for any advice on this! And I welcome any tips on what I may have overlooked in the whole process. First time boat owner, but not new to boating.

thumpar

Admiral
Re: Trim not constant motion?

Can you hear the pump running when it stops moving?

GAMAYBERRY

Cadet

Another obvious that I overlooked... I am 45 minutes from my boat right now, but if I'm not mistaken, it does not sound like its running. I'm assuming that if it's not, it's the pump, and if it is, it's air? Is that correct?

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like trim motor getting Lazy. I had the same problem what happens is the motor starts the heats up fast and heat in a motor is not good then it will stop once you let go of the switch if only for a second it's Enough time for it to start back up. But that's not to say your switch is not bad. I have been a auto tec for years and Nothing surprises me anymore. My pump had water in it and rust and worked for 2 years on and off. Just aware the ones on eBay are junk they work but not for long.